Practically Shooting

Ruger Mark II recoil spring assembly

wwillson

I've had my Ruger Mark II since 1993 and shoot it regularly. I don't know how many rounds I've sent downrange through it, but it's a LOT. I'm getting light firing pin strikes about 1 of 15 times I pull the trigger. I suspect the recoil spring is getting weak and not completely seating the bolt. I'm going to replace the recoil spring assembly and want to know if you've done the same to a MK 1, 2, or 3? If so, which brand and were you happy with the spring? Did you use a standard spring strength? Volquartsen offers a reduced spring strength to lighten the trigger pull - anybody use this one?

Thanks,

Wayne

Could be. I've had that happen with other guns, where I get a click, re-cock if it has an exposed hammer, try again, and it fires. Usually if that happens, instead of making a second attempt I can eject the round and there will be no firing pin mark. Not a light indent- none.

It could also be a dirty chamber softening the blow.

The extractor can cause it too, if it's groove is too dirty. Either the groove it rides in within the bolt, or the clearance cut by the chamber of the barrel.

Or a bit of crud in the extractor spring or the channel it rides in.

The Volquartsen spring that reduces the trigger pull sounds like a mainspring (hammer spring). I wouldn't see that a recoil/bolt spring would change the pull.