Practically Shooting

Ruger Mark II - lead in barrel

wwillson

I shot my Mark II last night and decided to clean it today. When I ran a jag down the barrel with some cleaner and a white patch, I got some lead flakes on the patch. The jag and patch couldn't get the last little bit out, so I use a small amount of bronze wool on the jag. It took about 15 minutes to remove all the lead that I could see.

How common do you think it is to get barrel lead in a 22LR? I wonder if shooting high velocity ammo would cause the leading?

Wayne

I think it's pretty common, just not always that visible. Even when a bore is "clean" I've pushed a patch through and been able to see a tiny bit of grayness on it if I look close enough. It's probably lead.

Really, I suppose every barrel and bullet gives fouling. We just can't always see it.

With the high round count, your barrel might be starting to show some erosion which could cause more fouling than before. Or, a little wear might cause the bullet to "skid" just a touch at some point.