Practically Shooting

Uberti "Callahan" 44 Mag

G-MAN

My guess is because more people know about the fictional Harry Callahan than know who Elmer Keith is.

Unfortunately.

Maybe, but I tend to think buyers for this gun would be more familiar with Elmer Keith. My point about the name of the gun was that this Uberti model comes very close to Keith's No. 5 revolver, which was a heavily modified Colt SAA in 44 Special (loaded by Keith to 44 Magnum level loads). If it had the Bisley grip frame it would be almost identical.

Naming it after him because its a .44 I can see, but I wouldn't call it ""The Keith" due to any similarity to the No. 5.

Anything made with Keith's name on it needs to be dead-on. His fans are rabid in that regard and will tear up anything that's only close. A search of the words "true Keith" or "real Keith" on any cast bullet forum will turn up some of the most heated discussions I've seen on the Internet. Take a SWC of his design, shorten the front band from .100 to .090 and you'll be hung in effigy. I'm not stretching the truth much there.

I think a gun company CEO who would name that revolver "The Keith" because of similarity to the No. 5 would see torches marching up his driveway come nightfall. It wouldn't matter to the Keith mob that he meant well.

I don't see much in common with the Keith #5 aside from having a flat top frame. Without the hybrid Bisley backstrap/SAA frontstrap grip frame, enlarged base pin, swinging base pin latch (which is pretty clever) and banded elevation adjustable front sight, the pitchforks will show up.

Those people are crazy.