Practically Shooting

Ruger SR22 review

wwillson

All,

Ruger has learned a few things since it's introduction of the Ruger Standard 22LR pistol in 1949. The MK-I, MK-II, MK-III, and varients of those have given Ruger an extensive knowledge base of which they surely tapped into when designing and refining the SR22.

When the SR22 was introduced to the world on Jan 2, 2012. I was interested in the SR22 as I've been looking for a 22LR pistol that closely mimics the handling and operation of a larger center-fire pistol. I have a Ruger Mark II, but the trigger is almost too good compared to a S&W M&P Pro or a Springfield XDm 5.25. My Mark II is a heavy 5.25" bull barrel, so the recoil is practically zero, also not realistic practice.

I was recently able to locate an SR22 at a local gunshop, so I purchased it a few days ago and picked it up today. I brought it home and cleaned the grease from the pistol that Ruger seems to buy in truckloads and knows how to apply liberally. The pistol comes with two interchangeable grip sleeves. It was obvious to me the the larger palm swell fits my hand better. After cleaning it was off to the range for a good workout.

The magazines are much different than the Mark I-III series magazines. Because the magazine is considerably shorter than those of the Mark series. In order to accomodate 10 rounds in the magazine the SR22 uses a double stack design. Having never owned a 22 pistol with a double stack magazine, I was a bit apprehensive. I soon was clear that they loaded easily and functioned flawlessly.

After putting just a few rounds down range it became very appearant that Ruger has an absolute winner in the SR22. It looks, feels, and acts like the larger center fire pistol you're used to shooting, but it runs on cheap 22LR ammo and doesn't come with the much harsher recoil (this might be fun). The first trigger pull is DA and consecutive pulls are SA. Or, you can simply leave the hammer cocked after you release the slide, then all trigger pulls are SA. The DA trigger pull is long and stiff, but it is what it is. The SA trigger is very comparable to the trigger in my M&P Pro. The SA trigger pull was a bit gritty at first, but seems to be getting better with more rounds downrange.

I ran 300 rounds of CCI Mini-Mags, 50 Winchester copper washed bulk, and 50 Federal copper washed bulk, without a single problem. That's right the first 400 rounds through a brand new out-of-the-box 22LR pistol and not a single hickup! The 3.5" barrel yeilds a pretty impressive muzzle flash in an indoor range, but I'll bet the flash isn't even visible outside.

This is a really fun 22LR pistol to shoot! We'll see if the flawless string of good luck continues with more rounds downrange, I'll bet it will.

edit: 02/11/2012 - another 150 rounds (CCI Mini-Mag) without any issues - 550 total.

adit: 02/22/2012 - another 300 rounds for 850 total (CCI Mini-Mag) had 2 failure to feed. The slide didn't strip the last round out of the magazine, instead over ran the round and pushed it up into the ramp and stopped. I looked at the magazines, which have never been cleaned (about 750 rounds when 2 failure to feeds happened) they were very dirty and 'sticky'. Will clean the magazines and report back.

edit: 03/09/2012 - another 250 rounds for a total of 1100 with zero problems. Federal 525 bulk pack this time.

edit: 03/31/2012 - 300 rounds of CCI blazer unplated. Had 3 failure to feed, but discovered the barrel screw had loosened so I don't blame the failure to feed on the ammo. 1400 total rounds now.

Comparing the SR22 and the LC9 - the SR22 has a slightly longer frame and grip than the LC9.

I like!

I also like the LCR 22. I keep saying that I don't NEED another 22lr but with prices still semi-reasonable for ammo and some new targets I've gotten lately the 22lr is just plain fun!

I think between these 2 I'd prob pick up one of these. I have a old MKII 6 7/8" that has seen zillions of rounds and keeps going. The Browning I have is good but I don't like the sights and the fact that the take down is so fragile. So it does not get shot as much as the MKII.

Everyone needs (yep needs) a Single six so good to go there. And of course a S&W K22/M17 should be in inventory. (prefer 6" TS/TT)

Thanks Wayne for being the gunnie pig doing the review! I'll keep an eye out for one after I get some dough.

Bill

PS: reloading using today's replacement prices for powder/primers/bullets I'm good if I can get a box of 50 loaded for $5. 500-525-533 rounds of 22LR for $19 is still a good day of fun. I remember every time we went shopping at Walmart and those 550 packs were $8.97 and I'd throw 2 in the cart. The wife would yell that I have "enough".

Today she is quiet when I show her how much they cost. grin

OK, I'm finally getting caught up with some Kydex bending and can get caught up with posting.

Excellent review, with useful information! It does sound very interesting. I've probably said it several times, but I want a .22 pistol smaller than a MKII size so it will be handy, but bigger than a pocket gun so it will be easy to shoot. This looks just about the right size. I also want a real safety for carrying while banging around in the woods.

I still want to see one of the Browning 1911-22s in person, but the Ruger is in the running now.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow. I didn't catch that.

Sure enough, it's pretty clear just looking at the pictures.

That's a no go for me. Not while carrying HiPowers and 1911s.

Thanks for the info. I don't think I would have thought to even check for it at the gun shop.

I'm glad I didn't call that guy crazy either.

The safety is also a decocker and therefore mimics the safety/decocker on most DA autos.

So it is with some variants of the HK USP, except they made it move the same direction as the 1911, HiPower, SA Stars and others, because of where it was located.

I carried a USP .45 and to a lesser degree, a USP .40, for a couple of years. I had a lot of 1911 time before then, and the USP safety worked fine for me. I also carried a S&W 3913 a lot during that time, and it's slide mounted safety worked fine for me too because it moved in what seemed the "right" way for the safety's location.

A safety's location is what should determine which direction it moves.

If a safety is located at or below the slide rails, make it move like a 1911.

If a safety is located on the slide, make it move like a P38.

Adding a function (decocking) shouldn't change that.

I can't see making it move the opposite direction of 99% of guns having a safety in that location because it drops the hammer also.

I'd be surprised to learn that anyone looked at this new Ruger, saw the safety location, and whether knowing it had a decock function or not, thought it must move up to fire.

Another 300 rounds (for 850 total) (CCI Mini-Mag) had 2 failure to feed. The slide didn't strip the last round out of the magazine, instead over ran the round and pushed it up into the ramp and stopped. I looked at the magazines, which have never been cleaned (about 750 rounds when 2 failure to feeds happened) they were very dirty and 'sticky'. Will clean the magazines and report back.

Wayne

It did really well to go that long while dirty. I don't think I've ever had a .22 semiauto pistol that could go that long without some cleaning. Those .22 magazines sure do collect a lot of filth, between the dirty ammo and the magazine's location sitting right under the breech to catch everything.

I'm pretty impressed it went that long.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Shot 300 rounds of CCI blazer unplated ammo for a total of 1400 rounds through the gun. There were 3 failure to feeds this time. When I got home I discovered the barrel screw had almost completely backed out, so the barrel was very loose on the frame. I tightened the allen screw without using any lock-tite. I'll call Ruger Monday to see what they say will stop the screw from backing out.

Wayne

• 1 month later...

I tightened the screw myself in April and just today 05.23.2012 got a chance to shoot the SR22 again. The screw had backed out about four turns in the first 50 shots. This is very disappointing and now the pistol definitely has to go back to Ruger.

Wayne

I saw my first SR22 in captivity at the range the other day. He was telling me the trigger was no different in SA than DA, which I couldn't quite grasp the meaning Then I tried it and got what he meant.

He meant the trigger position and travel. On his at least- When the trigger was in SA, the reset position was about the same as when at rest in DA. In SA, with the trigger starting rather far forward, the travel was a long dead space before I felt mechanical engagement. It had to move that far to reset after each shot.

What he was wanting to know was if that was how they were or if he needed to talk to Ruger about it. With none around to compare against, he didnt know if his was different, and I sure didn't know.

It probably seemed worse to both of us than it was because he was shooting a tuned Ruger MKII and a High Standard, while I was shooting a Remington 600 and Savage AccuTrigger. Most pistol triggers would seem like they had long resets and take-ups in comparison.

Just wondering if yours was like that or if he had a funny one.

• 2 months later...

This past weekend I FINALLY got a chance to shoot the SR22 after applying loctite the first week of June. I'm guessing it's cured enough :-).

I fired 200 rounds of Federal high velocity without any trouble. The barrel is still as tight as can be, so I guess loctite is the solution to the problem. We'll see as I get more rounds downrange.

Wayne

Good to hear it. LocTite can be a wonder sometimes.

I don't remember seeing the post on getting the M&P .22. How is that working out?

I was disappointed when I learned the grip backstraps wouldn't be interchangeable so I could match it to my .45...but I've since traded my .45 off, so that's not so important now.