Practically Shooting

Finally- a no-hassle receiver sight for the 9422

UncleStu

Hello, this is my first post outside the 'Intro" section.

For several years now I've had a Winchester 9422(XTR?). Putting a scope on it would really knock its "carrying rifle" characteristics in the head, even the small red-dot I tried just seemed wrong. Plus the fact that they require a hammer extension.

Williams- 3 choices, none ideal IMO. Others, ditto- except for one. The factory peep from the old Browning T-Bolt .22 rifles is claimed by many to be near ideal for the 9422. They can still be found- $ometime$. Some claim it takes a new, higher front sight, others say the factory front works OK. The guy in Canada who used to sell them on Ebay- rumor was he'd bought up a last stock batch of factory Browning parts- seems to have run dry. I've looked, half-heartedly, a few times a year for the past 2 yrs. Zip. There's a parts/sights guy who'll sell you a good condition used unit for about $80. One that looks like new is on GB now, starting bid of $50(!), with no takers- too pricey.

But: Last night, about 2 hrs before auction end, I found "GUN PEEP SIGHT 22 RIFLE". I looked at the photos- not great photos- and it sure began to look like the pix I'd seen of the T-Bolt sight. I double-checked- yup, if it wasn't it was its twin brother- took a chance, paid too much(though still a good bit less than the $50 min I'd seen), & it's on its way from Oklahoma to NE Tx now. Guess I'll soon find out if a taller front sight is needed or not. t-up

Plan to drill out the aperture disc to near-largest practical diameter hole. Due to design, you can't just unscrew the disc & use it as a ghost ring, will explain later. Otherwise, it's tiny, lightweight, truly neat & came from a 1965-1974 Browning product.

By the way- when driving open sights out of dovetails, which direction? I seem to remember they should go in & come out on the same side of the dovetail notch, but don't remember which way. grin

Link to EvilBay ad: Unlabeled T-Bolt sight ad

That's pretty interesting, so it slips right on the grooved receiver? I've been shooting mine for years with factory sights. My only gripe is that 50 yards and beyond the front sight blots out the entire bulls eye. Never really thought about putting a scope on mine or any other sight. Now you have my juices flowing. Keep us posted.

BTW I have a Williams adjustable peep sight on my M1892 .357/.38. Looks ugly but that thing is lights out.

First, I don't think you overpaid at all. I remember when Cape Outfitters had a running ad in Gun List advertising T-Bolt peep sights for, I think, $29.95. If it was less, it wasn't by much. And I remember this as being about 1988-90, so over 20 years ago. Cape Outfitters folded in the mid-90s I think, so this would have been at least 15 years ago.

Second, I love that little sight. I can't tell you how much I wish I had got one back then for my BL-22, for the same reasons you wanted one for your 9422. I really wish I had got several.

Third, I like the 9422. It's another thing I wish I had bought when they were around.

My brother had one (still does, I guess) in .22 Magnum. In fact, quite a few people around here had them in .22 Magnum for groundhog guns. I wanted a LR one though.

Those 9422s are usually pretty smooth. The takedown could be handy too.

Fourth, a few months ago, I was watching eBay for peep sights. I'm a peep sight lover too, and watched to see if anything interesting caught my eye. Most that did were like $200+ sights, but I did get a couple. I don't know why I quit, but I did, and now I learn I missed a T-Bolt sight. Sigh. Oh well, I might not have even looked at that vague title.

• 1 month later...

Real life has kept intruding, & the 9422 "Peep Project" got shelved for awhile.

Here's what little has gone on. The T-Bolt sight cleaned up very nicely and slid right on with no problem- but at least on my rifle, it will certainly need a taller front sight. With action open & cleaning rod exposed in action to reference bore, my best measured guestimate is about 1/4 taller. Also, the T-Bolt sight "hangs out" just a bit over the left-hand side of the receiver. It will certainly work with a taller front sight, but won't be quite as elegant as I'd hoped. I had an idea or two to modify the sight, but can't bring myself to mutilate it.

About 3 weeks ago I made the mistake of seeing something I shouldn't have. grin It was a 9422 with a Williams Guide Receiver Sight- the WGRS 54 model, originally intended for the beautiful old Savage-Anschutz model 54 .22 rifle. Happily, it fits a wide range of grooved receivers. It's fairly compact & sleek, but maybe just a hair tall. Williams tells you *exactly* what height front sight you will need for it on the Win 9422(0.450", which is about .2" taller than the factory 9422 front sight), and once dialed in it's pretty doggone buletproof. Like the T-Bolt sight, the WGRS 54 does *Not* have click adjustments- which doesn't concern me, my real life .22 experience says to get it set right & then leave it alone. It was on sale at Midway through Feb for $30- by the time I added an extra aperture(Wms Twilight .125), dovetail filler block, & a Marbles 1/16" ivory bead front sight, it all came to a bit over $50. Ordered late Tuesday night, mailed out today ($4 postage, very reasonable I thought), probably arrive Sat or early next week. Will report & post pix when it arrives.

Anyone wanna buy a nice Browning T-Bolt rear sight? wink I'm willing to eat a few bux on it, but not many. Send me a PM or post here.