Practically Shooting

Hittman made the USPSA Single Stack Nationals

wwillson

The biggest matches I've shot were state IDPA or IPSC matches. I could sort of keep up in the IDPA ones, even though I usually do OK in local matches. It's a different world. The IPSC matches, I was way out of my league. I did follow the big boys squad once, and that was worth going just to see the very different styles they had. All the squads got backed up bad, which made for an awful long day, but I got to watch them.

This was maybe 1997, which would have been my first year shooting IPSC. There was a big match somewhere and the IN state match was on the way, so three of the big guys came. Rob Leatham was still in his prime, Jerry Barhart was just getting well known, and Todd Jarret was practically unheard of then.

Their styles were so different, yet they were so close.

Barnhart would study the stage carefully. He'd look at it, jot some notes down, check angles, write some more, and looked like he was breaking it down to tiny pieces like a scientific equation. Then he'd shoot like crazy. He was so deep in concentration he wouldn't know if snake bit him.

Jarret was a bundle of energy. He probably wasn't, but he looked a nervous wreck pacing back and forth. He'd be up to shoot, put a mag in, take it out, put it back it, take it out, shake it, put it back in, and so on. Then he'd smoke the course.

Leatham was something else entirely and the most fun to watch. As relaxed as it got. They'd do the walk through then he'd never look at it again until he was up. He'd stand around laughing and joking with people, and when it was his time to shoot it was like "What? Oh yeah", run over to the box, load up, and shoot like crazy. He made it look like just natural ability.

Of course they finished 1-2-3, and real close, but it was interesting watching how they got there.