Practically Shooting

AR15 gas block no set screws?

wwillson

I just removed my barrel to have it threaded so I can put on a muzzle brake. When I removed the gas block I expected it to have set screws to hold the block in place. It had no set screw and the single hole for a set screw is NOT even threaded. The block did fit tight and appears to have had some kind of epoxy used to hold it there. The AR is a Bushmaster Varminter, which I'm kind for surprised as another identical gun that hittman has does have two set screws. Any idea why my block has no way to mechanically secure the block to the barrel?

Thanks,

Wayne

Same reason Bushmaster only stakes the bolt carrier keys on some guns and not others?

Sorry.

But honestly, that would be my guess. That it just didn't get done.

Sometimes I think BM has one employee whose job is to fill-in for whoever calls in sick on a given day, and this guy isn't very good. They seem to put out a lot of rifles that are just fine- even great- over 99% of the rifle, but have one thing that leaves you scratching your head because it should have been obvious to them. Sometimes it's easy to see without taking it apart; sometimes not so much, but should have been seen by them at the time of assembly.

If this was done at the factory, it's pretty disappointing, but I didn't buy the rifle new. I just can't believe the guy I bought it from would have half done anything.

I'm going to put a Vltor low-profile clamp-on gas block on when I get my barrel back. It's in Phoenix right now getting threaded - will post pics when it gets back.

Wayne

I wouldn't put it past Bushmaster. It fits. I always hate to put down Bushmaster because almost everybody owns one, therefore someone is going to be unhappy when I do. But they do seem to have a pattern of leaving off a step sometimes. I also hate to say it because I liked Bushmaster before they had the Bushmaster name. I was buying parts from them when they were Quality Parts and one of the few AR parts advertisers in Shotgun News. Back around 1989 when the first assault rifle ban got going, they had a toll-free number for legislative updates that I called do much I still remember the number (1-800-556-SWAT). So I hated it when this pattern started showing up.

I'd like to say they sell so many that quite a few problems will start showing up out of sheer numbers and percentages. But their percentages seem to be a little high. I don't own any complete BM rifles, but wouldn't mind it for a hunting or fun gun. I wouldn't buy one I had to depend on though. Just the fact the instructors who see everything don't have BMs is telling.

I'm done now. Got it out if my system.

Freedom Group/Remington bought them, which I thought would help, but it sounds like Marlin's quality went the wrong way after they got bought/merged so maybe things won't get better real soon.

But I read the old owner of BM got bored with retirement and is "getting the band back together" so maybe he can pick things up.

• 4 months later...

I have one of the older BM ARs; LE A2 type model with the HBAR 5.56 full bbl. It's quality is quite good. But, I would not disagree that there have been some disturbing variances in their build quality from what I've seen.

Your example would fit right into some of the "maybe, maybe not" guns I've seen.

I must have been lucky and got a good one; bought it used sight unseen from a friend at my work back in the day.