Practically Shooting

Cabela's Black Friday Ad: 10-22 for $169.99

BarryinIN

Just a heads up. Cabela's Black Friday ad shows a Ruger 10-22 for 169.99. I have no idea which model, but I would assume the cheapest they carry. I haven't bought a 10-22 in a long time, but I think that's good. Their website shows a regular price on them as $229.99 and up.

http://www.blackfriday.info/sales/cabelas-black-friday-ad.html

It's about 3/4 down the page under "Sports & Fitness >>Games & Hobbies".

I have zero interest in going anywhere near a mall, shopping center, or even the front door on Black Friday, and I'm sure you guys are the same. But if you have a Cabela's near you that's not next to a mall, you might want to take a look. I'm not going to make the trip, but if I should happen to be near a Cabela's that day by some miracle, maybe I'll have a look. I have a 10-22 I've never shot (mostly because it was dad's) and I'm not the biggest 10-22 fan, but for $170, maybe another wouldn't be a terrible thing to have.

They also show "Bushmaster AR-15 Rifle With Red-Dot Scope" for $599.99

...and a S&W Magpul Rifle for 899.99. That's an M&P15 with MOE stuff.

I'm not the biggest 10-22 fan, but I'd consider a new one at $170. One or both of my girls might want one in a couple years and make me wish I'd bought one before they went to $400 starting price or some crazy amount by that time.

I thought about one for a "keep in the SUV or car trunk for emergency foraging" tool, but I guess I have things for that.

And as I think about the not-so-smooth exterior finish of the barrel on the last new 10-22 I looked at, I'd rather put $170 towards a used one.

The S&W is more interesting.

It's a lot easier to buy a $170 gun in a whim though.

I have no plans of doing anything beyond cleaning up the turkey fryer on black Friday.

That day has been worrying me for the past several years, and not just due to crowds of shoppers. The country is full of ripe targets that day and I don't want my family to be near any of them just in case.