Practically Shooting

Which AR15 Armorer's Action Block?

wwillson

My opinion is that those two jobs (handguard removal, and barrel nut removal) are best done with two separate tools.

An upper receiver block makes removing the handguards easier. Of course it can be done without it, but the block makes a nice "third hand".

This being a relatively low-stress job, I'd pick whatever type you think is easiest to use. I like the ones that slip up into the magazine well rather than the clamshell type that wrap around the outside of the receiver. I think the mag well types are handier, since I mostly use mine for a cleaning cradle and I will usually clean more than one upper at once. I put the block in the vise, slip the upper onto it, wet the bore with patches, then slip it off and slip another upper assembly on and do the same. Then I swap uppers again and brush the bore, then run another wet patch or two through. Then switch to another upper and do a step with it. With two or more uppers going on and off, it's nice to be able to do it quickly.

I got mine from Sinclair's at least 10 years ago, and have no idea who actually made it.

The barrel nut is best removed with barrel vise jaws. Clamping by the aluminum upper receiver (whichever type of jaws/block) then twisting on the barrel nut makes me cringe.

I've never been completely happy with any aluminum vise jaw blocks because the fit is varying degrees of "close", thanks to the bazillion variations in barrel contours out there. But I don't know of a better way. Powdered rosin from a sporting goods store helps a lot to prevent slipping. It shouldn't slip, but if it does, the marks I've gotten were cosmetic and came off with bore solvent or whatever is handy.

What would probably make a good set of vise jaw blocks would be to get some jaws that were oversize for the barrel contour, put a coating of AcraGlas or some barrel bedding material in the channels, coat the barrel with release agent, and clamp them around the barrel until it set up. The result would be jaws fit to the barrel. AcraGlas has a little "give", which could be a benefit, and some tackiness that might also.

Barry,

I see what you are saying about using barrel vise jaws vs an upper receiver block to remove the barrel nut. A twisting force is still applied to the upper receiver if you use the receiver block, but if you use barrel vise jaws, no force is ever applied to the upper - much better concept.

I think this would be a good set of vise jaws.

However, with the free floating handguard on my varminter I think a receiver block is still necessary. The handguard is extremely tight to the point where considerable torque needs to be applied to break it loose. I'm afraid I would cause damage without some kind of a block to reenforce the upper while removing the handguard.

Wayne

Wayne