Practically Shooting

Another "What scope should I get ?" post

Pablo

At Midway USA on sale.

You'll need extra high rings but I've used a few of these with success. $110 for lifetime warranty 6.5-20x 50mm AO simmons.

Read the reviews and I'll second that its clear and an excellent value. Holds zero on a 30-06 and 300 mag.

Before you mount it see what you think. If you don't like it Midway will refund.

Take care, Bill

PS: I like to cut and paste... grin

My observation/opinion is there is a tendency among us shooters to put more magnification on a hunting rifle than is needed, and less than needed on a paper puncher. I think it's worse with the hunting rifle example, and think most would be better off with about half as much scope magnification as they got.

If scopes were all the same size and weight, it wouldn't matter, but they aren't. Nothing wrong with wanting to see well (Scopes help us see; they don't help us shoot) but with a 5.5 lb rifle, I'd think you would want to avoid too much size and weight in the scope.

I like Leupold, but you won't get under $200 in the regular line. The Rifleman line has 2-7x (11.1 oz) and a 3-9x (12.2oz) that you should find for under $200. Again, the 3-9x is about twice as much magnification on the high end as what I'd get ordinarily, but choices are limited in that line.

I have never had any from the Rifleman line, so am going out on a limb by mentioning them. I don't think it's a very weak limb though, since they are still Leupolds.

They are also made in the USA, which is perhaps more uncommon than many think. Even if another scope company is based here, a lot of them use glass from Asia. Nothing wrong with that (Japanese glass is very good IMO) but it bothers some people so I wanted to point it out.

Leupold's VX-1 line is only a little more than the Rifleman line (2-7s at around $209 and 3-9s at around $225).

I have been using Burris when I didn't want to spend Leupold money. They aren't a lot less.

Their Fullfield II line has a 2-7x at around $140 and a 3-9x at about $180-190. The 3-9x is about an ounce heavier than the Leupold, which may not sound like much but that ounce equals about 8 percent more weight. Small increments mean a lot in an already light rifle.

You can get snazzy ballistic reticle if you want. I have one, and it is actually pretty close with .308.

They switched to Japanese glass on these a few years ago.

Nikon Buckmasters fall around $200. I have never had one, but would like to try the 1x for an AR (or an MR223). They have a rebate on these now that gets you a camera. I was looking at that because my daughter's camera died, but the deal doesn't apply to the one I'd want.

I haven't named any fixed powers. It's not from me not liking them, but because a) there aren't many in the "mid-range" lines, and B) almost everyone likes variables.

Personally, I'd want a Leupold 4x Compact or Burris 4X Mini on a rifle like that. I don't think either are made anymore, but Leupold still makes the FX-II in 4x (9.3 oz). That is about one third to one fourth lighter than the variables.

If you want more power, they have it in a 6x (10 oz).

Actually that FX-II 4x and 6x might be the old Compacts with a new name.

I would have no reservations at all about a fixed 4X (or 6X) on a light .308 hunting rifle.

Other than that, it's a bunch if makers I have not owned and can't comment. Except Weaver, and that's not really the same company as what I've owned scopes from, so I can't say.

One last comment:

I would not skimp on quality here. A .308 that light will recoil a bit. Some people think my Scout is bad (I'm a recoil wimp and think it's fine- stock shape and fit matters) and it weighs a little more than the specs say your new Savage does. Skimping on the scope, base, or rings might just delay having to buy something better later.

• 3 years later...

Pablo- How is that Lightweight Hunter doing?

Some of us were discussing the redesigned Savage Scout rifle, when someone mentioned this model. His point was Savage could have based their new Scout on this and come closer to the ideal Scout. Probably correct.

Anyway, that got me thinking about yours, and wondering how it has worked out. You are the only person I know who has one.

Pablo- How is that Lightweight Hunter doing?

Some of us were discussing the redesigned Savage Scout rifle, when someone mentioned this model. His point was Savage could have based their new Scout on this and come closer to the ideal Scout. Probably correct.

Anyway, that got me thinking about yours, and wondering how it has worked out. You are the only person I know who has one.

Well I have not gone hunting. Which is a bummer for another thread or something....

The rifle I have taken to the range 4 or 5 times.

I like it, but it's not really a range gun. Reason? When the barrel gets hot I believe the groups spread OR the thing is so light with HOT .308 loads I have developed a flinch! Seriously it IS very light and with big loads, it has a strong recoil, so it's not like I want to shoot it all that much. It functions just fine.