Practically Shooting

Ruger 22/45 grip really similar to 1911?

wwillson

I had one for a short time several years ago, so my memory isn't too fresh, but I remember the similarity of the grip feel being vague at best.

Let's say I had never heard of one before and someone handed me one for the first time: I don't think I would have thought "Hey, this feels like a 1911".

This might have changed but the 22/45 mags were nowhere as easy to find as standard MKII mags. They had been out for several years at that time, so it's not like they were brand new. But like I say, that could have changed. The MK III has come out since, and they could all interchange for all I know.

But I thought I'd mention it as something you might want to check into.

I have 3 1911's and a 22/45. No they don't feel or act the same.

If you want a .22 1911, get the new Colt/Walther Umarex (sp?). It's pretty nice. As stated before I'm not a .22 conversion fan, but plenty of folks like them.

That said, a .22/45 is about as much fun as you can have with your clothes on. I have a 6" bull barrel with wood grips in blue. The trigger pull out of the box is sweet and I've become so quick with it some folks think I have an auto pistol - all this while hold dead nuts on target. Too much fun I tell you.

I have 15 mags or so, they are unique to the 22/45 MkIII. But if you shop and scrounge and wait for sales, you can get them for good prices.

The drawback? It will be the toughest handgun you have to breakdown - in fact a 'smith told me to not even take it all apart until 5000 rounds or so. He said there's no real point. So that's what I am doing. Oh I clean it up really well, then blow it all out with Amsoil MP. Still good as new. His point was breaking it down will inevitably loosen up some of the factory tolerances. I see his point, but call bunk on that - but still will give a full report when I take it apart.

Buwaahhaahahahah

I couldn't take it. I'm gonna shoot my 22/45 tomorrow (had planned on it anyway).....so I broke it down.

Actually pretty interesting design. Smart guy(s).

Yeah it was pretty grimy in the cracks. But cleaned it up perfectly. Took a bit longer to get back together, but not super nasty - just one step is a little tough to line up, but understanding what does what, makes it pretty easy.

Ready to shoot!

Does anyone have a Browning Buckmark?

Wayne

Love mine. Dad also has one.

The thing I do hate about them is to take them down you have to use a screw driver and take out some screws which are in aluminum (so they strip out if you are not careful)

I like my older Ruger MKII better than the Buckmark. (But will never sell either) I had a 22/45 when they came out a long time ago and it was okay. I must not have loved it since its long gone.

Take care, Bill