Practically Shooting

My Win Model 9422 Lever

Pablo

Well not mine....but on the last page of the Aug 2011 Am. Rifleman issue is my favorite rifle. The one pictured is a little rusty (why!!!??) and it's a 9422M .22WMR, but pretty cool to show the first rifle I bought with my own cash. Seems my XTR CLASSIC is a bit collectible and worth many times what I paid new for it. I would never let it go, though.

The don't even mention the best feature - other than saying "mechanically it was an entirely different gun" - that is the smoothness of the action. I've never touched any other lever gun, any caliber - all .22's included - with a sweeter action.

I'm taking mine to the club range tomorrow!

My brother bought a 9422M in about 1973. The wood has always intrigued me because it's fairly plain grain and figure-wise, but has the nicest color I could ever imagine. I could sit and stare at that "plain" wood for an hour.

And yes they are really really smooth. I have one lever action .22 (Browning) and don't really need another, but would like a Winchester because they are so slick. They now bring too much money for me to get one because of that, though.

Why the rust? I used to immediately associate it with neglect, but I guess it happens sometimes even when people care. I hate to admit it, but my first real rifle has a touch of rust. It happened when I lived in humid SW Louisiana and worked 7 days on and 7 off away from my apartment. I treasured it dearly and would oil it down when I headed out on Thursday, then would come back the next Wednesday to find a spot of rust forming. I would have to oil it up again and at least once more through the week. After a few months of this, I had a rust speckled spot.

Maybe some of the products available now would have prevented it, but they weren't around then or not available to me if they were.

That was a rough environment for metal. Cars suffered worse there than in the northern "Rust Belt" from what I could see. I worked closer to the Gulf and when the dew fell on cars at night, you could wipe your finger across it, taste it, and taste all the salt.

And now, my sentimental first rifle is one I usually keep out of sight!

I sure did enjoy shooting it on Friday. Still shoots well, I was really doing great at 50 yards.....funny though....my first rounds, I thought I missed the target completely. Nope. Bullseyes and I didn't know it until I walked up to the target. We are bringing some magnification next time!

The "why" on the rust is more of a why-why-why (ouch).......of course rust happens to all of us