Practically Shooting

Volquartsen Accurizing Kits

Pablo

I have to ask two things:

Are you unhappy with the trigger pull it has now?

Have you ever taken it apart that far before?

Balancing those two things would determine how likely I'd buy it.

Good questions. Still waiting for someone to chime in and say "Yeah worth every penny!" before I commit.

Trigger pull seems fine. I can fire it as a machine gun very easily since I've been doing all the finger strength and repetition exercises. Nope never tore in so deep, was thinking of paying a hack to do it for me......

They aren't a Swiss watch, but they are assembled so that patience is certainly a virtue.

I once belonged to a club with a fair Bullseye pistol league. The Ruger was popular, but everyone wanted the somewhat sloppy aluminum trigger replaced with the steel Clark (the only replacement I knew of at the time). People were split on how much they wanted that trigger and how badly they didn't want to do the job. One of the members had a standard arrangement that he would replace it for you under two conditions:

1- You brought him a case of beer with the trigger and gun.

2- You didn't stand over him watching.

Volquartsen parts are popular at rimfirecentral.com

I shimmed the trigger/pin to get the play out and polished the sear and hammer. The trigger is pretty good now but would be nicer with less post-travel.

The MKIII isn't that bad to put back together, I think the problem is the parts fitting together aren't intuitive. I usually have to install the sear/bar/spring a couple of times before I get it right. I also have the drop the plunger for the safety detent on the floor at least 3 times It's certainly no Glock but if you are mechanical and enjoy the challenge you can do it.

Having completely disassembled my Mark II many times over the years, I would recommend a couple things. Take several pictures as you disassemble and don't get distracted with anything else until you get everything back together and working properly. It's not rocket science, but it's not a simple task either.

BTW - I've done nothing to the trigger in my Mark II except keep it very clean. The trigger has aged to near perfection and I wouldn't spend a dime to try to make it better.

Wayne

I thought about pictures later, after I posted above. I haven't had one apart since digital cameras became common. I could have used one 25 years ago when I got first MKII. Just being able to look at a picture taken from the correct angle would make the difference between taking an hour to reassemble and taking five or ten minutes.

Like has been said, they aren't overly complicated, but the arrangement isn't clearly obvious either.

I remembered that my best friend has a Volquartsen custom MKII that he bought in the mid 80s. It was the first Volquartsen anything we had heard of, and he found it used in a small town gun shop.

It did/does have a really nice trigger. He and I sort of accumulated High Standard target pistols for a while, and he said none of his HS triggers were any better.

How that may or may not transfer over to that kit I don't know.