Practically Shooting

Corrosion on back of bolt AR-15

wwillson

I got back from shooting PD's three weeks ago and put my ARs back in the safe. I got them out last weekend to clean and found green corrosion on the back of the bolt of my brand new Bushmaster! It wasn't too bad yet, but nonetheless, it was there. What in the powder/primer leaves a residue that's corrosive? I'm I misguided in believing that smokeless powder rifles don't need to be cleaned immediately after use?

Thanks,

Wayne

Being green in color, my first thought is that it's from copper fouling being sent down the gas tube to the bolt tail, where it reacts with any ammonia from solvent remaining there. Perhaps something in your oil eats on copper also.

I have seen bolt tails kind of copper-washed, so it does get there.

• 2 weeks later...

I would be interested in what type of ammo you were shooting, might it have been WOLF?

The ammo may not have been corrosive per se as I have noted some greenish grud on the gas piston of my FAL's after shooting S/A Ball for example. In your case it may have just been some dirty stuff.. If there was no rust noted I'd say your GTG.. Clean, lube and put it back in the safe..

Modern ammo loaded (or hand-loaded) with smokeless powders do not need to be cleaned right away.. Even living in FL I usually don't clean anything right away "except" guns fired with corrosive ammo.. These are usually Bolt Gun, although I do fire some corrosive ammo in my AK's, and some other auto loaders. If I plan on shooting a specific rifle/s in the next couple weeks I just wipe it down good and put it away.. Once I'm done with that particular piece fora bit it gets thoroughly cleaned and lubed than put away..