Practically Shooting

If you couldn't afford a Colt Python

Pablo

I got a jones real bad for a Colt Python.....and it only got worse on Friday....a dude is moving back to his motherland and can't take his 4" Colt Python with him. But he went to my work buddy first. $650. L-U-C-K-Y. Oh man........THAT close.....I was second in line............

I would love to have a 6" Python or even a 6" Trooper. But drop the Colt, what is a close equivalent? What are your favorite DA .357/.38 Special revolvers?

If I wanted something in the Python size, I would get a S&W 586 or 686 and send it off to a really good revolver tuner like Grant Cunningham for their best action job.

I honestly think you would have a gun that might not be quite as well finished but at least as good a shooter. And spend less.

When I was a kid, I didn't want to grow up to be a fireman; I wanted to grow up so I could buy a Python. I drooled over them in the Colt catalog. When my eighth grade art teacher said we could sketch whatever we wanted as long as it had lots of fine detail, I drew a Python with extra detail on the checkering.

When I was going to buy my first handgun, I found a used 6" nickel Python for $350 and had to have it or a new Gov't Model for the same price. I went back and both were gone, so I bought a used S&W 19. My next few revolvers were S&Ws, so that is what I got used to. When I did buy a Python, I was kind of underwhelmed. It was a beautiful gun but the DA

See if you can find a good Colt Trooper 357. This is the gun the Python was developed from. Frame, cylinder, and lockwork are the same as the Python. Action won't be as smooth as a Python because the Trooper 357 didn't get as much handcrafted TLC before it left the factory as the Python did.