Practically Shooting

Dork on TV Warning

BarryinIN

I was informed of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGJJl6spb8k

Check out the dork on the left through most of this. The one in the light colored shirt. What a Maynard.

Why is this in the Semiautomatic Rifles section? Because it looks like he has an M-1 Garand. He brought a Garand to a carbine class, the goober.

Yeah, I like Garands.

I really couldn't see what the guy was carrying but how did he expect to get the instructions when he had his hearing protection on his head? Kinda hard to follow instructions if ya can't hear 'em!

While I watched the first year of Top Shot with a lot of interest, this year it's almost a comedy show. Paint balls, axes, what next-skipping rocks? And some of the shots these "experts" can't seem to make- what's up with that? My little brother would beat those guys bad but then again, he is a natural shooter, darn it all. But as bad as some of those guys are, I believe I stand a chance to win it.

Electronic muffs. I wouldn't go to a class without 'em. Instructors talk all through the class, including while shooting. Louis Awerbuck is creepy in that he not only has eyes in the back of his head, but he has them on all sides and can see, analyze, and discuss the entire line's issues at once. You need electronics to keep up with him.

Seriously, a typical drill in one of his classes goes like this: He will tell you beforehand what you will do ("fire two to six rounds, your choice, while stepping right") then give the command to shoot. By the time the first shots ring out, he will have corrected two or three things, saying "Tom, don't pop the safety until the muzzle is on target; Dick, step and draw at the same time instead of stepping then drawing; Harry, you almost mashed the trigger that time."

And not everyone has their first shot off yet.

He is talking about people located all along the line, not standing together. I don't know how he can see this much at once, let alone analyze it, form the words, and speak them, all the while he's analyzing what is happening at that moment to talk about in the next half second. It's creepy. I've seen him tell people after a drill how their gun malfunctioned, and the shooter is standing there trying to remember if the gun even stuttered. Creepy.

I'm not sure what Top Shot has to do with a carbine class, but that show is just plain silly. It has about as much to do with shooting as American Idol. Or maybe as much as Ice Road Truckers, Ax Men, and UFO Files has to do with history. But don't get me started on how The History Channel has gone down hill.

• 1 year later...

I saw one of the guys from that class the other day. He reminded me we were supposed to get DVD sets of the first season for helping out. At the time, the show had yet to air so we didn't know if that was good or bad.

I never got my DVDs and neither did he. I feel so wronged. Where's my attorney?