Practically Shooting

Loaded 1000 shotgun trap loads today

wwillson

This was the first weekend in months where the garage temp was above freezing and I had time to reload. It took about four hours of continuous reloading to knock out 1000. I could have done it faster if someone would have set the wads for me, but it's not a race. I finally ran out of Titewad, then switched back to Clays, which I like better because it takes up more volume in the hull, which give a better crimp.

My loads are 1400 fps 11/16 oz steel in VP-51 wads. You might ask why in the world do I shoot 1400 fps steel loads for trap? We are required to shoot steel at our club and 1400 fps steel arrives at the break point at almost exactly the same time as 1200 fps lead. Most people at our club shoot 1 oz steel loads at 1200 fps, which in my opinion, throws timing off if you are accustomed to shooting lead (most at our club shoot lead at other clubs). It is possible to load 1 oz steel loads to 1400 fps, but it's a beating I and most others are not willing to take. I choose to load light, but fast and most others load heavy and slower. The shot count in 11/16 oz of #7 shot steel is about the same as 7/8 oz lead #7.5 shot. While, the shot count for 1 oz #7 steel is about the same as 1 3/8 oz lead #7.5. It is clearly a disadvantage to me when I shoot 11/16 oz load against others who shoot 1 oz loads.... or is it? At 16 yards with a faster load, I get far fewer "dusters" (targets that shot hits and makes dust, but do not break) than those who are shooting 1200 fps loads. Keep in mind that we also have to shoot BIO targets, which are harder to break than pitch targets.

If I do my job at 16 yards, then the targets breaks. At yardage distances I either shoot 1250 fps 1 oz loads, or if I really feel like it I'll shoot 1485 fps 1 oz loads. The really fast 1 oz loads definitely get the job done more like lead at distances, but who can stand to shoot them?

The 1485 fps 1 oz loads are mostly for games...

Wayne