Practically Shooting

I think my Ruger 22/45 is acting up

Pablo

Ruger 22/45

I loaded up all 8 mags with copper wash CCI mini mags from an old brick from deep storage - this stuff was one giant headache - almost every round jammed with some very hard to clear. No complete stove pipes, but some I wouldn't want to fire the removed round anymore, that's for sure. Then I went with some mags of new bulk Federal Auto Match LR. I had some jams, but not as much with the CCI. Still it bugged me that this highly touted for semi-auto 22LR ammo had some issues.

I was running the gun on the dry side. Is there any help for this? Some dry lube on the feed ramp? Maybe a burr on the feed ramp? Maybe a mag issue? Maybe I need it lubed more than I think?

I was just wondering if there are any public tips for this issue?

make sure the magazine is firmly seated. Mine will seem seated but not actually be home which causes feeding issues.

You may have hit the nail on the head. I just tried all 8 magazines and each one ends up seated slightly different with "normal" insertion force - this was observed by the mag heel gap. It appears to just be stack up of tolerances of the plastic. Some would cause the mag release button to just pop up with the slightest of extra pressure on either the front of back of the mag plastic heel. Some would seat with a mild whack, but all will seat nicely. After repeating this several times, the seating force diminished.

I was paying no extra attention to this while I was shooting, so it really makes me think. Later today I will study what is actually hanging up....and of course can't wait to fire it again!

• 3 months later...

Man old post to me now!

I've shot 1000's of rounds through the gun now with no issues at all. What a sweet shooter. I shot some super HOT Aquila torch ammo through the thing (actually has a felt recoil!!) and even that ammo was pretty accurate. I love this gun. See my post on Volquartsen.