Practically Shooting

H&R Pardner and 870 slides compared.

G-MAN

I commented before on how the H&R Pardner pump is a licensed copy of the 870 action. It's actually a copy of the OLDER 870 action (pre "Flex-tab"). On the new 870 the slide assembly is made from two pieces of steel that are brazed together. However, the slide assembly on the Pardner is machined from a solid block of steel!

Here's the 2-piece 870 slide:

Just to clarify, even though the H&R uses the "older" 870 action, it's not subject to the jamming issues from a shell that slips past the shell stop that plagued older 870s. Remington's fix for this was to mill out recess in the bolt and put a "tab" in the carrier so that even if a shell slips past the stop it won't jam the action and it can still be cycled.

The H&R/Norinco solution is much more simple and elegant: They recontoured the carrier so a shell that slips can only go so far, and can't go far enough to jam up against the bottom of the bolt. Makes you wonder why Remington took the more complicated route.

And by way of further clarification, I was in error calling this a "licensed" copy of the 870. The original 870 patent has expired, but Remington's patent on the "flexitab" carrier and related mods to the bolt and slide to fix the aforementioned problem has not expired. That's why the makers of the H&R/Norinco had to come up with their own solution.

What kind of modification, you talking threads or some sort of internal mods?

I'm not sure. I've read a few posts about it on various shotgun forums, but I didn't pay too much attention because it's not a mod I plan to do. I just remember modifications were necessary to make it work.

So it's pinned and brazed? Have there been failures?

None that I've ever heard of. It was done in an effort to lower the manufacturing costs but I'm sure it works just as well.

It's odd that you hear people on the various forums lambaste these guns because they are made in China, yet they are actually made the way the 870 used to be made. Another example is the extractor: Modern 870s use an aluminum one; the H&R/Norinco uses one made of forged steel.