Practically Shooting

BEST BOOK AND BEST VIDEO

Pablo

It seems like I've learned just enough to get ready to buy equipment, but I can't seem to pull the trigger...I need to touch feel see do........help me out here.....which way should I turn. I feel like I need a LIST of exactly what I should buy.

Is there a best book AND video that will step me through it. I mean I know how bullets work, and I'm just afraid I'll miss something on how they are MADE.

The only reloading video I've ever seen is the Dillon one by Brian Enos. It's supposed to be on loading for competition, but I don't remember anything that wouldn't be useful for anyone. It's not basic info, but that can come from a manual.

I like the how-to sections of the Speer and Hornady manuals. I don't recall Sierra having much, but I don't have their newest. The Lyman manual is always a little dated, using old equipment that they may not even make anymore. The process is still the same, but it is a little odd.

Pistol reloading is actually simple providing you are a person capable of details. All you need is a press, dies, and components. Data is all over the net. You might go by Lee Precision and look at their vids online. It will have a Lee slant to it but you'll get the idea. As far as bullets, depending on what you want to do determines the bullet. I won't shoot lead bullets. That's a personal preference for me as it makes a nasty mess of the gun and I don't have to deal with the possibility of leading a barrel. LOTS of folks shoot lead, I prefer plated for target and plinking. Most bullet makers have a self defense bullet. I prefer the Remington Golden Sabres across all calibers. The Gold Dots are another fine one. Hunting bullets I prefer the XTP line but there are certainly others that perform function. There's a lot of info on the net for your review. Loads of info on bullet performance if yer hunting gelatin monsters. Just pick a brand and type and get started. You'll be trying the different types and brands anyway as that's part of the fun of reloading.

Here's some data on bullet testing for killing gelatin monsters:

http://www.brassfetcher.com/

Movies at Lee

http://www.leeprecision.com/html/HelpVideos/video.html

If you have gunshows in yer area, that's a good place to pick up used equipment. RCBS guarantees their equipment forever to whoever has it. You can't go wrong with RCBS. Lee is an economical line of equipment and it's a great starter line but if you shoot a lot, it's not the best out there. Make sure to get a good balance beam scale too. The RCBS and Ohaus line are the standard. The scale is one area I wouldn't try to buy cheap. Get a good one.

Hope some of this was helpful.

Spend some time looking at people's YouTube videos. You'll see a lot there. Anything is learning. Right or wrong!

Agree with having more than one reloading manual for data.

I shoot 95% lead in the handguns. Been doing it for decades. And I shoot a LOT. The trick to reloading is to buy when on sale and bulk if possible.

I've had RCBS, Dillion and Lee over the decades. Right now I have 2 presses and they both are Lee. The Classic cast single stage is the best press of that type period. I'd put it's design, operation and durability against anything anyone else makes. Much better than the old Rock-Chuckers (and the new ones are junk compared to those).

Agree with getting a good Balance beam like the RCBS 5.0.5 (which I've had for decades and use weekly) and something to check the scale here and there. (check weights or known objects)

Stay away from the digital ones. I have 2 digital scales, one is broke with a "lifetime" warranty that cost $70 bucks to fix a $99 scale (it was $200 when new) and I refuse to every buy another item from that MFG. They look nice but are picky and very delicate.

Take care, Bill

Reloading is simple and to me lots of fun. I really like the progressive machines. Though single stages work nice I learned to reload on one. There is a learning process. Most reloading manuals give good instructions and you want to at first load a dozen and try them out. Having an unfired cartridge to copy is nice as you are remanufacturing the cartridge. There is a learning curve and I am always learning.

I meant to say the same thing- the more manuals the better- but forgot.

Some manuals will only cover bullets that company makes (so if you want to load a 123.4 grain bullet in your .567 Nitro Deluxe Magnum, and they don't make a 123.4 bullet, you are out of luck), another manual might develop some loads in a barrel a lot shorter or longer than yours, etc.

Also, there are a lot of powders that have come out in the last 15 years. Some manuals may not have data for some of them in some calibers. Others have it, but they cleared out data for other powders to make room.

The more manuals you have, the more combinations are covered.

• 4 years later...