Practically Shooting

Semi Auto 22

Pablo

I have a Ruger Mark II - stainless, bull barrel, adjustable sights. It's completely original and I have probably fired it 100,000 times in the last 20 years. Well, maybe not quite that many times, but you get the idea. They are inexpensive and completely reliable, there are also a zillion after market parts if you want to enhance one. For me, it's the perfect .22LR pistol.

I also have a High Standard Sport King, but they are pretty hard to find. It's a fine pistol as well.

Wayne

I love High Standards. For a while you could buy a good used High Standard for no more than a Ruger and I'd see them fairly often. While I have nothing against Ruger .22 pistols, that choice was easy for me. People finally realized this, and their prices went up and guns got scarce.

Rugers are nice and I've had three. I still have the first one I got in 1985. I just about shot it to death when I lived near Chicago and belonged to a club with an indoor range. We had 24-hr access to the range and I worked nights at the time, getting off at 4:30 am. With nothing better to do that time of day, I was there several days a week shooting that Ruger and a Beretta 21A.

I don't know anything about the newest MKIII models with the loaded chamber indicator. I doubt there have been any big changes worth worrying about.

If you get one, don't take it apart without some time on your hands and patience in your heart.

I had one of the Walther P22s briefly. I guess they can be hit or miss, and I've heard several complaints about their slides cracking. I think they are made of zinc. Even though I've heard this several times, I remind myself they have sold a LOT of those guns. There is bound to be a certain percentage of trouble with any gun, and if they sell a zillion of them, the problem guns will be a high number also.

A guy showed up at the range recently with an ATI GSG 1911-style .22 pistol like this:

http://www.americantactical.us/gsg-1911.html

I was pretty impressed with it, and he was too. I think he said he gave $329, but this was from the shop with the best prices I know of.

I have a GSG-5 from the same company, which is sort of a .22 MP5 (I don't know why I got it, since I don't really like MP5s) and I've been impressed with the design, especially inside.

If I were getting a 1911-style .22, that would be it. I want one as it is.

I love my 22/45 it is my go to gun when ever I go shooting .I like it more than any other pistol I have ever shot "almost". The MK series is the same but with a different grip angle and a metal frame that is in my heart a better material for a firearm but plastic is cheaper. Always get the target model what ever 22 you get. The S@W M@P would be especially good if you have or planned on getting a centerfire M@P.

The stock grips are absolutely lovely cocobolo, but all the info I read says yes with just minor mods the 22/45's with removable grips will accept the aftermarket 1911 grips with just minor mods.

Not many NEW guns under $300 with such features, but it is a 22!! grin

Long video - I'm only at the 12 minute mark, but he did mess up on the model info a tiny bit. He also says the bull barrel models are the entry level guns. Oh well, I still love the guy. Not sure when I will have time to watch the whole video.

You can't rely on Nutnfancy for accuracy when it comes to some technical details on guns. For example, in his M&P 360 review the gun he's actually reviewing is the 360PD. He spends the entire video calling it the M&P 360. He even weighs it and comments on how his weighs less than what the S&W catalog lists. Well...duh. The 360PD does weigh less than the M&P 360 because it has the Ti cylinder.