Practically Shooting

Took the Model 20 completely down tonight.

G-MAN

I really scored a jewel with this JC Higgins Model 20 pump. This was clearly a safe queen. I honestly don't think it's ever been fired. The action was a little stiff and I could tell it was from old, dried oil gumming it up so tonight I took it completely down and cleaned it. What a masterpiece on the inside with all the machined parts. Even the carrier and action bar are machined from forgings! It's amazing that just as Sears was putting this beauty on the market, Remington was bringing out the 870 with all its stamped parts to replace the 31, which was supposedly getting too expensive to make with all its machined innards.

Got it all cleaned out and reassembled and now if you press the slide release with the gun pointed up the action will fall completely open--slick as glass. t-up

I'll be darned. I didn't know that.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Unlike some "trade store" guns, some JC Higgins guns were not just cheaper offspring of existing guns. If I recall correct, they had the first gas-operated semiauto shotgun, beating Remington's model 58 by just a little.

I'm sort of a High Standard .22 pistol nut and tried to start a collection in the early 90s when they cost no more than Rugers, then everyone woke up to that and they got out of reach. I never did have one of their shotguns, but want one. My best buddy (who also loves their .22s) has one that I have envied and tried to snag for several years. I found one in a shop a couple of weeks ago, and I might go back there yet. Especially if I keep running across threads like this that keep them on my mind!