Practically Shooting

Anyone reload .44 magnum?

Pablo

Nothing special with the 44 mag. I use Hornady dies in a single stage press. My favorite recipe is 25grs. of H-110, Federal large pistol magnum primer, Remington nickel plated brass with a Sierra 240gr JHC bullet. Out of a 9 1/2 inch Ruger Super Redhawk, MV is a little over 1500fps with outstanding accuracy at 100yds.

I would decrease the powder charge a full grain or two if I were reloading for a S&W 29. I have tried that load in a 29 and get sticky extraction so I stopped. The Ruger, IMHO, can take a much higher pressure load than the Smith.

I also use the Ruger load in a Marlin Lever gun in 44mag and it also shoots very well.

Like Moe said, nothing special. I also like the nickel plated brass, not for any particular reason other than it looks good. I load mostly hard cast 300 and 320gr WFNGC bullets and I also like H-110 powder.

Read somewhere that nickel plated brass cannot be reloaded as many times as brass. How many loads do you get out of the plated brass?

I never really had any problems with nickel plated brass. 20yrs ago, I bought 1000 Remington nickel plated 44 mag cases from Midway and still have 600 or so unfired cases left. I don't try to get the maximum reloads out of any of my brass. If the primer pockets get a little loose or I have to trim them more than twice I usually just dump them and start over again. Not the cheapest way of doing things, but very safe.

I have used nickel plated .38 special brass for PPC competion that I shot years ago and had no problems what so ever. I would reload them 10-15 times before dumping them. They were low pressure, low velocity target loads so case life was very good as you would suspect. I was told that the nickel plated brass would split the necks before a regular brass case but I just didn't experience that. These 38 special cases were all loaded on a Dillon 550.

I don't use nickel exclusively, in fact most of my brass is regular brass, but I will buy nickel when I can get a good deal on it. That being said, I have not noticed a significant difference in the amount of times I can reload it vs regular brass? I generally get 7-10 reloads out of both.

Reload for the 44 mag for decades. Been with RCBS, Dillion and now Lee for presses. RCBS, Hornady and Lee dies I use. In 44mag I have the Lee set.

Pablo if it was NOT for reloading I would not shoot very much. LOVE TO RELOAD! Its as much as shooting for me. Plus when components were less expensive it was nice to make a box of 50 rounds for less than a few bucks. Even with the outrageous prices today its still a great deal.

I have a ton of loads from a great paper punching 165gn lead load to 300 grain watch out loads in the 44mag. Just depends on what I want to the load to do. One favorite thing for us is shooting milk jugs and oil containers full of water. Take a 240 grain JHP, load it well and shoot it with any 44mag and its just vapor when it hits. That load in the 44mag lever action is a favorite of my 17yr old Daughter.

As far as brass, I'm in the same situation as Moe. I bought 1500 Starline and still have prob 1000 unused in the box. I've not seen any difference in any caliber on life of nickel vs brass as far as live. When they split they split no matter what they are made of.

I've gone from Single stages to progressives to turrets. They each have their purpose and faults. For ME I like having a single stage and turret on the bench and I'll get along just fine with less drama than the other setups I've had over the years.

Biggest thing is go slow and learn while you go. For some people they should NOT reload with their personalities. My Cousin is one of those guys. He still has all of his fingers. His weapons were not so lucky. (yes, I said WEAPONS. He has blown up a few)

Take care and Merry Christmas!

I don't think I'll have any issue with exploding weapons - but I will be VERY careful with powder measures and such.

One thing that seems like a weak point if you say use the same bullets, but different powder loads - Is there a common system people use for "labeling" finished ammo? Let's say you do 25 (or whatever) of three different loads. Sure you will separate them but.......let's say you get distracted and don't remember.....just asking....

If I'm doing development loads I place each load in a baggie and write on a piece of paper all the info. Then I write it in my log. When I go shooting I then write down anything I noted when firing the load, the Chrono info (if I time them)and what gun I fired them in.

Then when I get back home, take the spent brass with a magnifying glass and look for anything that may be an issue. If I like a certain load, note it in the log, write up a label for the 50/100 round box (or range bag if I load them in the hundreds) with the load data and go with that each time.

Distracted will get you in trouble quickly. Writing down the info takes care of the don't remember mode.

Be safe! Bill

• 6 months later...

The .44 Mag is my FAVE pistol cartridge so I've been loading the .44 for a long time..

H-110 is my most used powder and has proven itself a steller performer in many diff laodings.. I also use Unique for my 240 GR LSWC loads.. These are my "plinking" rounds but would certainly work for hunting as well..

Only thing I think worth mention that sets the .44 apart is making sure you have a good crimp when loading Full Bark ammo..

If you enjoy the 44's as much as I do reloading for them is a MUST..

I never saw this thread before. I've loaded quite a bit of .44 Magnum, but almost all of it has been for carbines. I never kept a .44 revolver very long; I just don't have the need. Not that I really need the carbines either.

H110 is pretty much my standard too. That or Win 296 (same difference). I like Accurate Arms #9 some too. I think H110 is pretty foolproof in the .44 Mag.

Win 231 and Titegroup seems pretty good for mild loads.

I have a Ruger 77/44 that has been fun to load for. I've loaded bullets from 133 grains (an old Lyman 429105 gallery mold) to an SSK design that is supposed to be 320 grains from Linotype but runs closer to 340 from wheelweights. In between has been round balls, double round balls, wadcutters of two weights, and several more typical SWCs and TCs. In jacketed, Hornady XTPs in 240 and 300 grains work well. They all do fine.

Most of the same bullets work great in my .44 Spl Blackhawk.

I guess if you count the AutoMags, I load .44 Magnum(ish) for handgun. My standard load there is 22 grains of H110 and the Nosler 240 JHP, which is just enough to cycle the action.

The .44 calibers are pretty good, period.