Practically Shooting

Shot The Black Rifle Today

CamuMahubah

100 rounds of Wal-mart Federal 55gr. Nary a hiccup. Zeroed up nice at 25m but the detachable carry handle must not have been torqued down enough as it moved on me and threw my shots off when we walked over the 50m line. I'll get a screwdriver and put just a bit more torque to them and try again tomorrow.

Gun shot real nice though. I really enjoy shooting the .223 versus shooting the 8mm. Way easier on the shoulder for sure. This is a fun little gun.

Took it over to a bud's house who was an Army Ranger and he gave me a "class" on cleaning the rifle. He knew his stuff and told me he threw the CLP away in Afghanistan and his whole unit used RemOil! Now I don't think I'll be dragging mine through the sand but it can be a bit dusty out at the range so I'm figuring I'll give the RemOil a try. It doesn't seem to offer much in the area of lubrication though. The gun is lubed with RemOil for now we'll see how it does tomorrow...

Next time I clean it myself I'll be busting out the Ballistol.

Just got done cleaning the gun for the first time by myself. Watched youtube videos and read a few websites. Ain't much to it but a bit overwhelming if you don't know what you are doing.

The Otis cleaning kit I got for 30 bucks is real nice as it has everything you need except for lube and maybe some cotton swabs. I didn't take the bolt apart though as I had only put about 50 rounds downrange last time out. I cleaned the barrel and chamber and took the bolt out and rubbed it down with ballistol and let it soak in. Then I took a clean patch and rubbed it down.

Tomorrow I'm gonna shoot some Black Hills 55gr FMJ and some Hornady 55gr VMAX Varmint rounds. Got to get this thing zeroed in at 200. Christmas Eve it was shooting about 2 foot to the left at 200 yards...

You really do not have to put much effort into cleaning the rifle just make sure it is well lubed. Maybe clean it after 250 rounds to keep yourself happy then it doesn't have to be spotless. If you sight it in at 50 yards the pullet should be on at 200 yards. The majority of soldiers can learn how to clean it so can you. The AR is a really simple rifle .

It was good day at the range today!

After about 8 clicks to the right on the rear sights...BOOM! Little teeny tiny groups! Hoorah! This baby is on! I can it the bullseye all day long at 50 yards. Finally! Only took me almost 200 rounds to get it figured out.

Can nail the 200 yard target too...groups get bigger though. Maybe eight inches...I wasn't measuring just was happy to be hitting the target!

LOL! We were shooting the man sized torso targets...not sure if they were designed for shooting at 200 yards. I think they are made for indoor handgun ranges. Ah well somebody left a stack of like a hundred at the range.

Interesting guns you see at the range...one guy had an AR with a scope on it. Got to talking to him and discover it's a .25 WSSM. Had no idea such a cartridge existed. It was a huge fat bottomed case. In fact it looked like a pregnant cow! I kept looking for the udders. Didn't look fun to shoot either. Loud and it was actually rocking the gun backwards on the bipod the guy had set-up.

Another guy had a really nice .22 by Charles Daly. Bolt-action with a scope. Of course it was made by CZ in the seventies. Wow! CZ makes a sexy rifle. Just something about those CZ's! cheers2