Practically Shooting

Soot on outside of case...problem?

Tom

I loaded up some .40 S&W with 200 gr FMJ and a light charge of 5.6gr IMR 800x. I like the way it shoots for range use because it has hardly any snap and my M&P cycles just fine. I'm getting soot on the outside of the brass which I'm guessing means it's not developing much pressure to expand the brass.

Does that hurt anything?

Tom,

I load pretty low recoil loads myself and have experienced the same symptom of sooty cases. I've asked several reloaders I know and across the board, everyone says it doesn't matter. The only factor is cycling the slide with light loads. If the M&P works, then load, shoot, and repeat.

Wayne

Tom,

5.6gr is a light starting load of IMR 800x for your bullet weight. In my experience, in my .40 guns, 800x tends to do better when loaded in the upper end of powder load weights. You are correct in that lower pressure tends to not expand the brass causing some soot. The degree of crimp can also be a factor. Finally, some powders just burn a lot dirtier than others regardless of pressure developed.

xtell