Practically Shooting

More Trivia

G-MAN

Tom Selleck has starred in two movie where the rifles he used were almost characters of the stories in and of themselves. Both were engraved with the initials of their owners. One was the Sharps in "Quigley Down Under." The other was a lever action. Name that rifle and the movie.

That one he used in Monte Walsh! If I were a bettin' man that's the one I'd say. It was a .50! Woot!

I'm a big Selleck fan. I have Magnum P.I. on dvd. When I was growing up my mom always watched so I did too. Now she's watching this series where he's a cop in New Jersey or something. I ummm...well my television hasn't been turned on in months. Every since I gave the PS3 to my little brother.

Out in here in Nebraskastan we get two channels...so you'd either pay outrageous prices for satellite or you watch PBS. And I don't have a digital converter lol! So I watch nothing! Prolly why I spend so much time on the internets.

Yah I'm betting it's that Winchester 1884 big .50!

Curious thing with myself and lever-actions. I built a fence for a guy when I was 15 and he paid me with a Marlin that would pinch your fingers and had a FTF problem. I hated it and thought it was so ugly. Like Harley-Davidsons! Good gawd Harleys and lever-actions were ugly. Funny thing, the older I get the prettier they look! WTH is happening to me?!

.45-60? Wow, and people are complaining about all the new calibers today. Things haven't changed as much as some believe.

I read these cheesy Western mystery novels by Tabor Evans and the main character carries a Winchester in .44-40 same as his six gun which I believe is a Colt. I should really pay attention I guess.

The other day I think my buddy got the .44-40 and the .45-70 confused as he was swearing the .45-70 was the way to go for Cowboy action as you could get in a lever-action carbine and a revolver. I still think that he thinks I'm crazy when I told him how rare the .45-70 caliber revolver actually is!

Can you imagine that! I know they make 'em but imagine shooting one of those in Cowboy Action!

I've never heard of or seen a revolver in 45-70.

The 1876 was Winchester's first attempt at making a "big-bore" lever gun to shoot true rifle cartridges. The toggle-link action still wasn't strong enough to handle the 45-70, however. And when Marlin came out with his big 1881 model chambered in 45-70 it left Winchester scrambling. It wasn't until they bought the rights to John Browning's prototype lever action that they had a truly "modern" and state of the art lever action that could easily handle any of the big-bore rifle cartridges. Browning's design became the Winchester 1886.