Practically Shooting

Favorite Brand of Die?

Post 'em if you have 'em...

I prefer Hornady for most pistol applications, but have Redding Bushing dies for all of my varmint rifles. I use a Dillon RL550B for reloading and an old Hornady Projector for mass decapping. The Hornady dies are reasonable and do a good job on the pistols with the carbide rings inside. The Redding bushing dies (although expensive) are great for bolt action varmint rifles (a a quick neck size and you are on your way).

What are you using and why?

I don't really have a favorite. I have Forester, RCBS, and Hornady dies. The good thing about Hornady dies is the rebate of boxes of bullets for $6.95 in various calibers with proof of purchase. The floating bullet seater works well also.

IMHO, I think Hornady dies are the sleeper of the bunch. They are well made, set up easy and with the rebate they are less expensive than the Lee dies. The rebate ends on 12-31-2010.

IMHO, I think Hornady dies are the sleeper of the bunch. They are well made, set up easy and with the rebate they are less expensive than the Lee dies. The rebate ends on 12-31-2010.

I agree; aside from the rebates, I like the carbide button that is on all of the rifles dies--makes having to lube the inside case neck a thing of the past and Hornady really stands behind their products.

I have the FL Lee carbide die set for 9mm Luger and .45 ACP, Lee FL die for .308, RCBS-X Die for .223, RCBS small base sizer die for .308 (for my Savage 99) and RCBS FL die set for the 7mm Rem Mag. I have never used other brands of dies so I can't comment on their quality level.

• 2 months later...

I have yet to use my RCBS dies for my .40 (just bought 'em) but I do have Hornady and Redding dies for my .357 and Hornady in .40...

I really like the belling die on the Redding set (the other two dies are very high quality as well), the Hornady beller is very touchy to get just right but it is functional.

For me it's a really tough call but I think I would give a slight-to-moderate nod to the Redding set.

I have a set of dies each for single-stage and progressive loading.