Practically Shooting

AR-15 gas block leaking - is this normal?

wwillson

All,

After shooting my AR last week 1,000 times at prairie dogs without cleaning there was a considerable amount of powder residue around the gas block on the barrel. My cousin has the same Bushmaster Varminter, which was fired almost exactly the same number of times. His rifle had no residue at all around the gas block.

Should I do anything?

Thanks,

Wayne

Was there any issues with the weapon (short stroking for one example) during the 1000 + rounds that you shot it between cleanings?

Most likely its a loose gas tube. But if the weapon is functioning fine I'd prob just leave it and clean it every so often. If you want to *try* to prevent it I'd first suggest cleaning it as well as you can then put some red or green locktite around the gas tube/block area. (take the upper and orient the muzzle down and then allow the locktite to form a seal. Use a toothpick with a drop at a time to spread around the junction Less is more here (don't want to clog it))

Some MFG go ahead and dab the gas tube in the locktite and then assemble it to prevent anything like this from happening.

I'd put my vote in the its not normal but if its not affecting the operation of the bolt I'd put it in the pain in the rear category. grin

Take care, Bill

• 1 year later...