Practically Shooting

powder

hittman

I spoke of using Win 748 in a recent reply to WWilson. Its a good powder for 40 grain to 75 grain bullets in the .223 Remington. It meters well and always ran clean for me. Going above 75 grain bullets you would be better suited with a slower powder. Are you planning on using varmint bullets? If so, in 55 grain weights, the Sierra BlitzKing and Nosler Ballistic tip would be good choices. You could throw in the Hornady V-Max in there as well. I had good luck with those specific bullets in 55 grain weight when I was heavy into shooting the .223 before I switched to the .308. Just depends on what your rifle takes a preference to. For target competition, the Berger VLD in 80-90 grain weight is an accurate bullet as long as your rifle does not have a fast 1 in 8 twist. Hope this helps you out.

I've got a few AR models. A Bushmaster HBAR 20", Stag 6H (24" bull barrel flat top), Stag 2H, A few DPMS, A few Spikes Tactical (both in .223 and 22lr). Built all the lowers with Stag, Doublestar, DPMS, RockRiver and Spikes parts.

No compete. Just out to have fun at the range mostly. A lot of target and anything that goes splat when you hit it (milk jugs, cans, bottles and such)

My Dad is up in MT right now (one of my Sisters lives up there) and having him get me a case of small rifle primers for $24/1000. Figure 5000 will do me for a little bit. Down here the best I can find (if they are in stock) is $33/1000.

Sad thing is I've still got some that are marked .99/100! And that was not too long ago...

Take care, Bill

• 4 months later...

The 748 you are buying is a decent choice for the 223 cartridge. If you research it, you'll find that 748 and H335 are both commercial pulldowns from the military powder WC844. With the use of the heavier bullets that our military is now using, WC844 has been replaced. All NATO ammo is now speced to use TAC becuase it has detergents to keep the actions cleaner and it's far more temperature stable. Getting accuracy out of the 223/5.56 case is probably the easiest out there considering it is a near scaled down 308 case. So most any medium buring powder will usually work. If you have an AR platform, you might consider using the TAC powder over the 748 or H335. Accuracy has been extreme using this powder with match quality ammo coming out of hunting loads.