Practically Shooting

Got a Colt Trooper 357 from 1969

G-MAN

I picked up this very nice Colt Trooper 357 off GunBroker. Serial number puts production in 1969.

I'm on a revolver kick lately (in case you haven't noticed). I've also picked up two S&W Model 28s: One with a 4" barrel and one with a 6" barrel. I'll post pics of them later.

• 8 months later...

Quote:
110gr hollow point bullet at 1180 FPS from a 4" barrel. Sealed primers. Here I have 500 rds of actual .38spl treasury loads from 1985. All clean and dry stored. Headstamp is FC 85. These dont come up very often anymore and I'm only asking a very reasonable $.40 per round. Compare that to any other defense round at about $1.00 per round. These are loaded very hot and are not to be used in any handgun not made to accept at least +P. Possibly the best self defense ammo ever made

I had a few of those left over from my shooting days with Dad back in 80s. I shot them in my Ruger LCR--hot but totally manageable. Don't believe all the Internet BS about these rounds being as hot as 357 loads, designed only to be fired in 357 revolvers, etc. They aren't THAT hot.

I haven't shot any 38s in the Colt yet.

• 2 months later...

Geeze man, don't be so melodramatic! Like a kid I tell you.

For $500 looks like you got a deal although there seem to be quite a few in the $600 range. With the extra barrel, not such a bad deal.

http://seattleguns.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=43825

FS/FT Colt Trooper MK III with 4" and 6" Barrel. Gun is in very nice shape. Price $675 (not $650)

That is a MK III. Do NOT buy that gun. That is not an original Trooper 357. It does not share anything (other than looks) with a Python. The MK III was Colt's first attempt at a revolver design that almost completely eliminated the need for hand-fitting in the production process.

Study up on Colt revolvers before you dive in and buy something.

That is a MK III. Do NOT buy that gun. That is not an original Trooper 357. It does not share anything (other than looks) with a Python. The MK III was Colt's first attempt at a revolver design that almost completely eliminated the need for hand-fitting in the production process.

I must admit, the bias in gun stuff is way worse than most other hobbies. Before I challenge the expert, please list ALL the weaknesses of the Trooper Mk III.

Oh and yes I have studied.

Originally Posted By: G-MAN

I must admit, the bias in gun stuff is way worse than most other hobbies. Before I challenge the expert, please list ALL the weaknesses of the Trooper Mk III.

Oh and yes I have studied.

No real weaknesses that I know of, but you had asked about what to buy if you couldn't buy a Python. The Trooper 357 (made up until 69) is the closest you can get to a Python because the frame, cyl, and action are the same.

• 2 weeks later...

I got a 1974 Colt Trooper Mk III. The action is very smooth. The revolver is very well built and the grips like yours on the original Trooper. Oddly it looks like they changed them a bit later. Nice gun for the price, even compared to a new Ruger.

• 2 weeks later...