Practically Shooting

Purchased a PW LS-1000 progressive press

All,

I've been know to over analyze things a bit. I posted months ago that I was going to buy a progressive reloading press. After months of indecision, analysis, and procrastination I finally bought a Ponsness-Warren LS-1000. This press is made for reloading steel and can reload lead, bismuth, and other type of shot with no problems.

I couple things that pushed me to the PW are the rammer tube clearance and the shot metering mechanism. One of the problems when loading wads like a VP-60 is that with some presses the rammer tube won't clear the hull as the shell plate indexes to the next station. The LS-1000 was designed with deep wad cups in mind. Another problem I see with some progressive presses when loading steel is that the mechanism that moves the shot bar sticks. Primarily this is because the the steel shot isn't perfectly round like lead and is harder. When the shot bar/bushing moves to dump the shot, the irregular shape of the shot can cause the bar to hang-up when the shot gets pinched between the moving bar cavity and the frame. I'm told that because of design changes the LS-1000 won't have this problem. I sure hope it doesn't have shot bar sticking problems like my MEC - serious pain in the neck.

I'll post a 'range report' after I've got some experience with the press.

Wayne