Practically Shooting

Hornady Lock-n-Load pregressive

Nope, unfortunately I haven't used it yet- just got it last night. From what I've heard the primer feed system is fairly decent but admittedly it makes me nervous to think of pulling that cotter pin and having 100 primers slide down the feeder tube to the bottom; it's the sudden stop they have to make that bothers me. Although I have not heard of any KB's associated with this particular system...

There were several items that caused me to get the LNL AP, the quick-change die feature IMO was a biggie and the free thousand-bullet offer wasn't bad, either.

Somewhere on the 'net there was posted a real good comparison of various progressives, the Lock-N-Load AP being one of them; I'm pretty sure the primer feed mechanisms were mentioned.

• 5 weeks later...

"it makes me nervous to think of pulling that cotter pin and having 100 primers slide down the feeder tube to the bottom; it's the sudden stop they have to make that bothers me. Although I have not heard of any KB's associated with this particular system..." Crashbox

Sounds much the same as my RCBS "Piggyback" primer tubes. I've allways GENTLY reached up inside tube from the bottom with a straightened paper clip untill it touches the bottom primer, then pulled the (factory) clip and eased them down with the paper clip without the sudden stop.

Bob

I have asked friends who have reloaded for many years and not one of them have had a primer go off while reloading.

Personally, I have experimented to see how hard/easy they could be set off. I found that if you directly dent the primer, like a firing pin would, that you can get them to go off. However, you have to hit them darn hard and make a significant dent. I have thrown them on the floor as hard as I could and slowly crushed them in a vise, just can't get them to go off this way.

My experimentation stopped when I finally got one to explode. I had no idea how much force they have or how loud they are. I did have leather gloves and safety glasses on, but the force through the leather glove left my finger bleeding and my ears rang for a while. Folks, DO NOT experiment with primers, take it from someone who had to learn the hard way.

Wayne

Well, I FINALLY got the nerve to try it. I found the primers slide rather smoothly down the tube and not as quickly as I figured they would (I suspect maybe some pneumatic cushioning due to the tube diameter and venting only at the top...?????).

Talk about fun! I loaded up about 50 rounds of .357 Magnum using 7.1 to 7.3 grains of TiteGroup behind 125-grain JHP bullets, lit with Federal Small Pistol Magnum match-grade primers ('twas all they had). I was pleasantly surprised this morning when I headed to the range and fired 'em off.

They actually worked- all of them! Reasonably accurate, too.

No wonder people reload- it is enjoyable to say the least. And I'm also one of those crazy people who find cleaning my gun after a stint at the range to be therapeutic...

Yeah, I had a couple of items that I needed to rectify. The pawls on the lower part of the ram needed to be adjusted as it was out-of-time and also the primer slider thing required minor tweaking. It's possible that I have an out-of-spec shell plate but I ain't sure. After I tweaked the press everything was pretty much smooth sailing.

One puzzling item did occur- I noticed the powder charges being thrown crept up about 0.2 grain from when I started (I have the micrometer insert which is handy), although I did not adjust it to do so. It may have been inconsistent tempo with the ram- I probably sped up a bit as I went along...