Practically Shooting

Rimfire bolt action suggestions

dnewton3

OK - my next purchase is likely to be a bolt-action .22lr and I'm looking for suggestions. Let me be specific in my wants.

First, I don't want to spend too much money; $250 is the limit for this one (not including accessories). I will always consider buying used, but I like to know the weapon's history, so at times I'll buy new to assure the known condition.

Second, I want a reasonably accurate weapon, but it does not have to be ultra-uber-accurate, as I'm intending to shoot bulk .22 ammo and sub-sonic ammo.

Third, on the topic of sub-sonic ammo, I want a reliable feeder and extractor.

Lastly, ease of barrel removal and installation. I am going to have the end threaded for my suppressor. Sub-sonic .22lr ammo simply is not super reliable in a semi-auto weapon, so I'm going to build up a bolt action for reliability. I don't want some press-fit and pinned barrel; I need to be able to remove it to send it out for threading.

So, here are my options that I've seen with some regularity at my local gun stores: Marlin model 925, Savage with accu-trigger (forgot the model), and a Ruger 77/22.

I have a Marlin .22 Win-mag that I like a lot, but that one is very old and may not be comparable to what they produce today. I do know that the Ruger barrel is easy to remove (similar to the 10/22). I know nothing about the Savage at all.

Does anyone know of the pros/cons to these weapons? I've not had a lot of experience with bolt action .22's. Both facts and opinions are welcome.

Well, anything that is factory threaded would save me time/money on getting an alternative threaded, however after checking gunbroker, they sure do seem to be a bit high in price.

Also, realize that the .22lr subsonic ammo is not exactly known for it's incredible accuracy. To have a weapon that is ultra accurate, and then put in cheap sub-sonic ammo makes little sense to me. That is why I has looking at a decent $250 gun, or less. I am trying to find a reliable gun that is a good match for the ammo and use with a suppressor.

My primary purpose for this rig would be to put the suppressor on it for sub-sonic plinking and pest control. It doesn't need to be sub-MOA accurate, because the ammo would never be capable of such. I suspect the ammo is perhaps 2-MOA on its best day.

• 1 month later...

Update:

Purchased a new Savage Mk II in 22lr today at Dicks for $171 out the door (on special). Nice gun. Absolutely beautiful stock; one of the nicest I've seen in a store bought mass-merchandise place in a LONG time. Also came with a 3x9 scope.

Going to break in the barrell soon, then I'll see how it shoots. After that, it's off to the machine shop to get the barrell threaded for the suppressor.

Now, if only the price of 22lr would come down and the availability go back up ...

If it is as accurate as all my Savages you are going to be very happy.

+1

My $117 Savage without the accu trigger is a VERY accurate weapon. It has mounted a 3x9 rimfire Bushnell scope (like most of my other Rimfire rifles) and its a great weapon. I also like the plastic stock as its a throw around weapon at times.

Bill

It did not come with the accutrigger; wish it had. The stock trigger is crisp, but a bit too firm. Then again, don't know that I can expect too much for $171 out the door, including the 3x9 scope! Quite a bargin.

As long as it's accurate, I'll be happy. I broke the barrel in this weekend; lots of cleaning and copious amounts of patches. Broke it down afterward and pulled the barrel out (pinned), and it goes to the machinist this morning via the mail. Found a place in OR I'm going to try; tornado-technologies. They specifically had my barrel listed as one that they are set up for. They also offer free return shipping for LEOs, so I just couldn't turn that down.

I'll update when it returns.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Well - I finally got around to sighting in this Savage with the suppressor attached and with .22lr s/s.

Outstanding! I can hold quater-sized holes at 70 yards. (Why 70? Because that is the measurement from the closet tree to the POI ...) When you think of it, shooting sub-sonic .22lr ammo is not often a big quest. But I did this on a whim to see what it was capable of. I came away really impressed. Not bad performance at all for cheap s/s ammo and a total gun price (with scope) for $171.

So, for a grand total of $700 (rifle, scope, threading of barrel, suppressor with tax stamp), I can pick off the little corn varmits and such with aplomb.

I didn't "need" this, but I wanted it. And now I'm glad I got it!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Most of the rifles that I've seen with threads were threaded by the local gunsmith(s), without unpinning the barrel...i.e. barrel and action attached...my Krico was partially butchered by one 'though.

Down here, you can't go past CZ/Brno...I picked up a 1967 one that is a tack driver.

As to ammo, Winchester subsonic are very very accurate in my rifles, about the same groupings as T22s, albeit more expensive.

Unless you get the T22s, or CCI blue box ($50/brick down here), and use Paco Kelly's accuriser.

http://www.leverguns.com/store/acurizer.htm

I've got one of his early versions (ca 10 years old), and was impressed at the work it did on CCI blue box.