Practically Shooting

Smith 625 in 45 ACP - need to use moon clips?

wwillson

Have to use the clips to get the .45 ACP out. The brass expands once fired and you have to use a rod to get them out if you don't use the clips.

The extractor does not catch the rim of the ACP. IF you get the .45 AutoRIM brass then it will.

Here are a few photos hopefully showing what I'm trying to say.

Take care, Bill

Depending on the vintage of the revolver, the clip provides headspace. Up until about 15 or so years, Smith & Wesson machined their cylinders so that they were stepped to allow positive headspacing for 45 ACP.

Newer Smiths don't have the stepped cylinders so you do not have headspacing if you don't use 45 ACP with moon clips. Without the moonclips, the gun may or may not go bang each time you pull the trigger.

My 45 revolver's an ancient Webley MK5. Absolutely love that old boat anchor! Break top, hold the lever, trip 'er open, and it'll sling moon/fired brass completely over your shoulder! Nearly impossible to imagine a DA trigger pull can be that smooth, yet hard till you experience it. Has a firing pin built to hammer that looks like a deadly weapon in it's own right. Actually punctures a primer occasionally!

De-moon tool can be built from a piece of copper tubing with a notch cut to fit above clip, slide over case, then just give it a twist. Bill's pictured full moon clips, there are also 1/2 moons, just requires 2 (3 cartridges each) for a reload. I think they were the original version as used in WWI.

Why on earth would you ever want to not use clips?

Bob

When I got my 625-2,I looked on the net for mooners/de-mooners.The guy I got the S&W off of gave me de-mooner he made:

I saw a moon clip loader on Gunbroker and told myself I could build one of them.Fast forward to Sunday morning.It's 6:00AM and my shooting buddy is due to arrive @ 7:15 and I hadn't loaded any clips for the 625 yet! mad

So I went out to the woodshop and piced up some scrap I'd been tripping over for a coons age and cobbled this together.

I figgured I'd build a pretty one when I got round 'tuit,never did grin

A friend on CB had some 45AR brass he didn't need anymore,so I assembled these with H&G#78's

• 2 months later...

My 45 revolver's an ancient Webley MK5. Absolutely love that old boat anchor! Break top, hold the lever, trip 'er open, and it'll sling moon/fired brass completely over your shoulder! Nearly impossible to imagine a DA trigger pull can be that smooth, yet hard till you experience it. Has a firing pin built to hammer that looks like a deadly weapon in it's own right. Actually punctures a primer occasionally!

De-moon tool can be built from a piece of copper tubing with a notch cut to fit above clip, slide over case, then just give it a twist. Bill's pictured full moon clips, there are also 1/2 moons, just requires 2 (3 cartridges each) for a reload. I think they were the original version as used in WWI.

Why on earth would you ever want to not use clips?

Bob

I have a 1905 Webley Mark I, 4-in barrel and birds-head grip. Its converted to fire .45 ACPs and I use the half or full-moon clips. I find the half-moon easier (not necessarily faster overall) to load than the full. Since all my ammo pouches (WWI era) are set up for the half moons, that's what I prefer.

The old Webley isn't particularly accurate past about 100 feet, though improved with the ACPs over the original .455 Webley ammo, it's a natural pointer. When loaded with hollowpoints, it's got intimidation potential it can back up. If you would ever have to draw down on someone with it, the first think he'll see is a bore the size of a cannon. The second will be those shiny hollowpoints in the cylinder. Definitely a "gulp" moment!

Bob, I agree with the smoothness of the action, but it still requires considerable pull. I had my trigger worked on, which improved it greatly with the hammer back but not so much in double action.