Practically Shooting

SPR 18 arrived yesterday

G-MAN

This a really nice gun for the money. The spiral hammer forged barrel is really unique. The oil finished walnut stock is gorgeous with lots of graining.

I had read some reviews of these guns that said the trigger was stiff and heavy with a lot of creep. Not this one. It breaks clean with virtually no take up. I'd say the pull is about 4 lbs.

I'll take it to the range tomorrow and see how it shoots.

Last year there was an absolutely beautiful Ruger #1 (or #3 don't remember)7.62X39 stainless with laminated stock at a local gun show. only ONE reason it didn't come home with me,,,,,,$$$$$$!!

While most SKS's and AR copies aren't very accurate(Wife's Mini 30 is suprisingly so), I can't imagine that little round not being inherently accurate, it's what the PPC rounds have for ancestors after all.

SC doesn't allow .223 for deer? Or you don't feel comfortable with it? LOTS of Arkie deer have had a terminal case of it! Most every Vietnam vet I know use it with excellent results. I've loaded .223 with Speer's 60 grain spire point for several fellows who've had excellent results.

Bob

I took it to the range today. I was shooting 2" groups with it at 50 yards once I got it sighted in.

Same problem as I had with the Mini-14: eyes watering like crazy because of the wind blasting down the pipe you have to shoot through. I'm becoming convinced that this range is just not set up for shooting iron sights. You're under a cover, looking down that dark pipe, trying to pick out a small target in an open field that is in full sun light. Your eyes are adjusted to the shade and darkness so the target just whites out when you try to put the sights on it.