Practically Shooting

Range Report: Mini-14 Tactical

G-MAN

Took my new Mini-14 to the range this morning to sight in the iron sights. It was cold and the wind was blowing. Plus, you fire through about a 20 foot length of concrete pipe that is buried in the berm. The wind was blasting down that pipe right into my face and my eyes were watering the whole time so it was hard to see the target. Anyhow, enough excuses...

It took 20 rounds to sight it in. I used Monarch brass, 55 gr FMJBT to sight it in. Then I fired 20 rounds of Monarch steel, 55 gr FMJ. No misfeeds of any kind.

This is the 20 rounds of Monarch steel at 40 yards:

Am I seeing that correctly, 3"X4" group @ 40yds?

Bob

Yes. I don't think that's too bad for iron sights under the conditions I was trying to shoot. Heck, my eyes were watering so badly I could just barely make out the target, much less the bullseye. Plus it's the first time I've shot this rifle--or any Mini-14. (And it's more like a 3x3 group.)

I think with a scope this gun will be capable of <2 MOA at 100 yds.

Probably so. different types of ammo with different bullet weights, etc, could make a real difference too.

I'm not going to obsess over accuracy. I got the gun for home defense in a worst case scenario situation (rule of law breaks down) and for plinking.

Another thing to keep in mind is that 3x3 group is not only open sights staring into a frigid 20 knot wind, but there are 20 holes in that target. That was an entire magazine. The last 5 rounds fired are all within 1.5" of the center.

G-Man:

If you're going to use it for home defense, then the level of accuracy you produced under these circumstances is more than adequate and I wouldn't worry about making a target gun out of it either. You shot it very well and my eyes would still be watering. Also, my feelings about home defense and optics is that....my 20/20's can still shoot minute of angle from the bench at 100 yards with my mid-length DPMS and factory sights, so I don't care to use optics on it when my longest possible shot would be 25 to 35 yards. One can easily spend as much or more on optics as for the rifle and I'm concerned about using them inside the house. Purely a personal choice. We're starting to see some home invasions in the county, thus the HD rifle and its 25 yard zero.