Practically Shooting

Anyone use Ballistol?

I ordered a can of this stuff and used it last night to clean and lube my Hi-Power and P95. So far I'm impressed. Since this is a plant based ester I figured it would have good polar qualities and it does. That's why I think it also works as a good solvent and removes metal fouling from the bore.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got the Ballistol package today. Nice corrosive ammo recipe right on the side of the can. Perfect. Brought out the M24/47 and rubbed her down all over with the stuff. Took the bolt apart and gave it a light treatment. Let the barrel soak with the stuff for about 10 minutes. The barrel had previously been cleaned with Windex and then Rem oil. The patches came out so dirty you would swear the gun had just fired a hundred rounds of 50's yugo ball. I think the ballistol is a great cleaner. After another treatment the patches were still coming out dirty. So I swabbed until the patches were coming out almost dry and decided to let her be with just enough Ballistol to keep the barrel lubed. The stock sucked up a copious amount of ballistol and didn't give much back when I try to rub it off.

So I let her sit in the gun cabinet all night lubed up like she just came off the assembly line. I like the fact that the ballistol is good for the wood too. Don't have to worry about any spills onto the stock.

Very light pleasant smell unlike anything I've smelt before...maybe anise?

Asked the wife if it bothered her and she said no. The Outers Gun Solvent made her sick to the stomach she said. So I think we have a winner.