Practically Shooting

Anything wrong with a single stage setup?

Tom

I've been researching my options on reloading. It's very obvious that the Dillon progressive is a great setup and is vary fast and efficient for doing a lot of reloading.

but

If someone isn't doing a ton of reloading (yet) and on a budget is there anything wrong with a single stage setup? Lee and RCBS units are very tempting. It seems like their presses are inexpensive enough that if you wanted to step up to a progressive you wouldn't really be out all that much $$$. The other tools, such as scales, dies, etc would all transfer over.

Researching on the internet you get widely varying opinions from "used a Lee for over 10,000 rounds and it still goes strong" to "bought a single stage RCBS and it was a mistake, sold it and will only use a Dillon"

Even though I began with a progressive, I can see a few advantages to a single-stage setup. I think they are superior to a progressive for producing dimensionally consistent ammo, a plus if you are out to achieve maximum accuracy. There are times I will use my progressive as a single-stage, mainly for working up new loads and other times when I don't want 100 rounds of a certain type. In fact, I am strongly considering a single-stage for this very reason.

There are fewer things to break and otherwise go haywire on a single-stage as compared to a progressive, and much fewer items you have to simultaneously pay careful attention to.

And the cost for a single-stage is less as you mention.

There may be others as well but that's my take on it. I'm fairly new to this extremely addicting hobby so my viewpoint is likely affected by it.

Just my pair of Lincoln coins, your mileage may vary.

What you plan to reload really does enter in here. Pistol, you can achieve much greater accuracy than 99 out of 100 handguns can attain with a progressive. Also greater than 999 out of a thousand shooters can attain. And you'll soon be itching to build ammo quickly.

Rifle is a bit different, because other than prarie dog shooting most folks just don't do that much rifle shooting. For practice, hunting, target shooting etc the slower pace, and individual round control of a single stage might be perfectly ok.

What are you planning to load for?

Bob

.40 S&W mostly, I also shoot a .22-250.

I'm looking at it for economy. If I buy .40 S&W rounds locally I can get 50 reloads for $20, Russian "new" for $25 and "cheap" new USA stuff for $30. .22-250 is around $28 a box. Soon Calif. will not allow mail order due to a new law requiring a signature for handgun ammo. I can foresee prices going higher.

If you decide on a Lee press, I'd suggest the classic cast press. It has an enormous ram, the primer drops out the bottom of the ram into your container of choice and it is mechanically stronger than H!ll.

I have the Lee Breech Lock single station press. It has a much smaller diameter ram and mine is sloppy at best. Do what Woodsoup says and go with the Classic if you choose a Lee.

Wayne

.40 S&W mostly, I also shoot a .22-250.

I'm looking at it for economy. If I buy .40 S&W rounds locally I can get 50 reloads for $20, Russian "new" for $25 and "cheap" new USA stuff for $30. .22-250 is around $28 a box. Soon Calif. will not allow mail order due to a new law requiring a signature for handgun ammo. I can foresee prices going higher.

In that case it's simple enough! RCBS Rock Chucker for rifle, Dillon for everything else! grin

Bob

I have a large Lyman "Orange Crusher" single stage press and a couple of small Lee presses in addition to a Lee progressive. The single stages presses get a lot of use. They're a lot handier if you only want to do one operation like decapping once fired brass or crimping loaded rounds. Certain rounds that I prepare carefully are always loaded on the single stations.

If you start out with a single station press you'll be fine. One of the reloading kits that assorted makers sell that include a powder measure and a scale are the way that lots of people start out. You'll use them plenty if/when you move up to a progressive. I started out with a Lyman kit and I'm still using most of what came with it.