Practically Shooting

Ever use Hodgdon Titewad?

wwillson

I bought a pound and loaded some steel loads today. When I shot them they were very consistent and did the job perfectly if I did mine. I did notice that there were a few flakes left-over flakes of unburned powder in each hull. It was about 30F today and I wonder if Titewad is hard to ignite when cold? Titewad is pretty dirty, not as dirty as Longshot, but pretty close. I'm going to try the rest of the pound when it warms up in the spring to see if it burns better.

Wayne

I called Hodgdon yesterday about the unburned flakes left in the hulls. The gentleman I talked to said that Titewad, being a double base powder, is harder to ignite especially when cold. No suggestions really, it's just the way it is.

I told him that I noticed that Clays doesn't have the problem. He stated that Clays does have nitroglycerin, but isn't technically a double base because it is only coated with nitroglycerin and the base does't have nitroglycerin as a component.

Wayne