Practically Shooting

Getting it figured out - finally

wwillson

It's been a couple months since I switched form shooting trap with one eye to two eyes. My average immediately dropped by about 7 targets per 25 - ouch.

Many variables were changed during this time other than just shooting with two eyes, which probably wasn't a great idea. A new trap stock and forearm, new sear spring, new hold points, new stance, etc.

I've been shooting as much as I can lately to try to figure out what works for me. Today I averaged 22 (21, 22, and 23) over three rounds. I finally feel that if I practice with what I've figured out works for me, I can bring the average up. Before I was just trying to figure out what might work, which can be a struggle.

I think the single hardest thing for me to figure out was to wait until the front bead meets the target. Shooting with two eyes gives you the ability to see and track the target SO much quicker, that I tended to jerk the gun and pull the trigger to fast. I think it's a mental thing that since you see the target better your brain says, "quick you've got to get to the target and pull the trigger!". When I finally worked on being smoother and not jerking to the target, it all came together.

Thanks to Bill I. at the club for working with me and being patient!

Wayne

It's awesome when practice and patience comes together. I usually practice at least twice a week with a minimum of 8 rounds per practice session shooting skeet.

It's amazing how on some days the targets look like garbage can lids and other days they look like golf balls.

Good fundamentals are essential for the clay sports. It's like a bumper sticker I saw once that said: " The more I practice, the luckier I get". I have that slogan on my Americase!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You're not going to believe this, but I placed 2nd high overall in our clubs "Irish Open" today. One round of trap to set your handicap and one round at handicap from 23-25 yards. I hit 22 & 22 for a total of 44, which was 2nd out of 25 shooters and the high being 48. It was extremely windy which made the targets jump all over the place. Shooting the target quickly, which I've been practicing lately, was a must today. It was a fun day at the range!

Wayne