Practically Shooting

2016 NRA Annual Meetings & Exhibits, May 20-22, Louisville KY

BarryinIN

I will be there, reporting on behalf of Practically Shooting.  

Well... Media credentials have been requested, but they haven't begun sending them out yet. 

I'm mentioning this early in case anyone unable to attend wants anything in particular looked at or asked about.  Start thinking of things and let me know. 

Also, if anyone wants to meet up, let me know.  

FYI- I plan on driving there and back each day, so by "meet up" I don't mean hanging in the hotel bar afterwards.  Which is unfortunate, since that's when the real industry news is learned.  

• 1 month later...

Heading down tomorrow morning.   I think.  I hope.  

I went to the other gun club I belong to yesterday.  My back was killing me last night from the drive.   It's 54 miles away.  The convention will be about twice that.  

I'll get there.  I might have to stay.  

Highlights to hit:

Berger Bullets- Bullet samples.

Redding/Saeco- Checking some things.  See if they have any new cast bullet designs.

FN- I want to see when the Mk20 SSR is coming (DMR type SCAR).  

Steyr- Chat with their tech rep.  Good guy.

Winchester- Always gotta see them.  Try to find out why M70s are still scarce.

Browning- Always need to see if the HiPower is still in the catalog.

Cold Steel- They have a big roped-off mat so they spar all day and beat the crap out of each other with their products.   Can't be missed.

Magpul- There is always a gimmick or two or three to see or get.

Pyramyd Air (booth and airgun range)- Mostly want to investigate some moving target systems.  But you never know.

Colt- Because they're Colt.   They will have something really cool that nobody can afford but they will make four or five anyway, like a Gatling gun.  And to see if some products are ever coming back.

S&W- To once again ask for the return of Scandium 1911s with the regular grip frame instead of the current bobtail-only.

Andy's Leather-  Andy's a friend and super good guy.

Ultra Light Arms- Rumor of a really light Scout rifle from them.  Really light.

Hornady- Because I like seeing the looks on their faces when I pronounce their name correctly.  (Horn-a-dee, not Horn-a-day)

Midwest Gun Works- Thank them for having Browning and FNH parts when nobody else did.  Maybe get another shirt.

Ohio Ordnance Works- Because I want a semiauto BAR in a bad way.

Midwest Industries- Check on some extended handguards.

Kinetic Development Group- Same thing; handguards.

Nighthawk- To see the HiPower.

Trijicon- Because.

Mile High Shooting Supply- Look at the wondrous Accuracy International rifles and Schmidt & Bender scopes.

U.S. Optics- Just to see how things are.  And drool over the SR8 1-8x scope again.

VZ Grips- I always look, ready to buy, but the selction is so huge I can't decide.  Maybe this time.  

Vortex- They've updated some optics and I want to see.

Springfield Armory- To see about possible .38 Super or 10mm 1911 models (wouldn't a .38 Super Range Officer with extra 9mm barrel be neat?).   And maybe get another T-shirt.

CZ- A few things, from .22 rifles to the Scorpion that now has my interest after a friend got one to SBR.

Suppressors- Every company there.

Eley- They usually have past and present Olympians to meet.  I'd rather meet one of them than everyone at the Oscars, see the Super Bowl, and walk around backstage at the Grammys. 

Champion's Choice, Champion Shooter's Supply, and Creedmore Sports- Target goodies.

Marlin- See if they have anything they made before becoming Remlin.

Crimson Trace- I have an NRA instructor discount but don't know what to get.  But I know I need something.

Ruger- They will have something new.  Whether it will be worth fighting the inevitable crowd to see will be the question.

Beretta- Mostly to look at shotguns.  

Uberti, Cimmaron, etc- Gotta get that fix.  

Thats a start.

I'm about to start my second day.   I am hurting.   When it was in Indianapolis two years ago they advertised 9 acres of guns.  Now it's 11 acres.   I believe it.  Parking was not handy either.   My legs and hips are killing me.  But onward I go!!!!!

Too many highlights from yesterday to list righ now, but here is a lowlight:

Does anyone remember the Marlin Camp 9 and Camp 45?  They were semiauto carbines in 9mm and 45acp and sorta resembled a larger Glenfield model 60.   The 9 used S&W pistol mags (59,459) and the 45 used 1911 mags.   Pretty simple guns, and didn't cost all that much.  

I can't begin to count how many times I've heard people say they wish Marlin still made those.  At the Marlin booth, I remembered this and sought out the rep who looked old enough to remember them. 

I started telling him I knew people who would like to see them again, but didn't get far before it was obvious he didn't know what I was talking about.  I tried describing them, but that didn't help.   He may have thought I made it all up. 

Sigh. 

I'm now starting to organize my pictures, brochures, and thoughts.  

The biggest news may be a tie between two things; S&W introduced a .45acp Shield, and HK is bringing back the SP89 MP5-based pistol.  

HK first.  The SP89 was short-lived.  It's now expensive.   The new version is called the SP5K, and is clearly based on the MP5K.  Aside from the top rail, I saw no differences, and the rep had nothing to add except to say that while more variants are planned (like carbine models) the pistol was the first to get approval for import.  

MSRP $2699.   If you've prices an SP89 lately, or for that matter in the last 20 years, that's "cheap".  If I had the money I'd buy one, just because they will never bring less.

I didn't get any pictures of S&W's new .45 Shield because I didn't get close to the gun.  Every time I came by, the crowd was too thick.  

Judging from the handout, if you've seen a Shield at all, you've seen these. It's "just" a .45 version. 

Henry is making a Henry.  The 1860, no forend, rotate the end of the magazine around the barrel to load, Henry.   It will be made in either brass frame or color cased steel frame.  

image_zpsafdqoikx.jpg

OK, more pictures later, since photobucket is being odd  

But for now:

The Kimber K6s revolver is pretty neat, IMO.   Although it's a snubby, I'd say it's about K-frame size.  Perhaps Colt Detective Special size might be closer.   The DA (concealed hammer) trigger isn't bad, the grip feels good, and the sights are useable.  

Oddly I thought, I didn't see many people looking at them.

This should come as no surprise, but FN's semiauto M249S is a heavy pig.  Maybe I'm not remembering well, but it seems heavier than I thought.  

The 20" barreled DMR-type SCAR MK20 should be available for big spenders by summer's end.

My first stop at any of these shows is usually Browning.   As a fan and carrier of the Browning HiPower, I have to make sure it is still in the catalog.   It is, but with only three basic models.   The rep said they are just getting too expensive from FN.

Colt says the Delta Elite 10mm is returning this summer.   That's interesting, since I got mine maybe five years ago when they returned, and a friend ordered one within the past two months.

Lithgow  in Australia has been making their army's variant of the Steyr AUG for many years now   The army made some changes, including deleting the quick change barrel feature.   It's called the F90.

Lithgow USA had an example of a Semiauto one they plan to make a sell here.   Due to some changes, it weighs just over a pound less than the Steyr.   I liked it, and while I wouldn't trade my Steyr for one and thought some changes were questionable, I didn't see anything wrong with it whatsoever.  They are awaiting BATF approval. 

They said mags would be made by Magpul.

At the Magpul booth I asked about the AUG mags that have been coming for at least two years.  They didn't act like it was a priority at all.

The IWI X95 variant of the Tavor was there and looked good.   It has a mag release button in the customary spot forward of the trigger instead near the magwell like most, so most who picked it up fumbled around the magazine area trying to drop the mag.  It's funny how we come to expect things.

Marlin now has a Custom Shop.   You can get one with extra fancy wood and deluxe checkering designs or one with a green spray and bake finish and synthetic stock.  

Remington is celebrating 200 years in existence this year, and had a nice mini-museum on site.   I got so caught up in it I didn't see what was new.

The NRA always brings some items from their museum.   This year's display included one of Ed McGivern's tevolvers he used to set records with, JFK's Colt New Frontier single action, Dwight Eisenhower's Winchester model 21 shotgun (with five gold inlaid stars) , and the Lewis and Clark air rifle.  

Its not a firearm, but it's impressive.   Crosman came out with the Airbow late last year.   It's more or less an Airgun that shoots arrows...really fast.  Like 400-450 fps.  For those who don't know bows, that's screaming.  

In a demo, he shot an arriw into the target then his second shot went right down the first arrow   A perfect Robin Hood, and in the first two shots,   By mid-day yesterday he had done this three times in the weekend.   

More to come.

Pictures I couldn't get yesterday:

HK SP5K:

image_zpsfu2kuocf.jpg

image_zpsjffayqrr.jpg

From the NRA Museum.

Ed McGivern's S&W:

image_zpsmtvsl2ak.jpg

Eisenhower's Win 21 shotgun:

image_zpsljvhv1wu.jpg

JFK's Colt New Frontier:

image_zpss7otg7zy.jpg

Lewis & Clark airgun:

image_zpsnqu84fah.jpg

Lithgow USA F90:

image_zpsy0ctgo9m.jpg

Kimber K6s:

image_zps97z8fb6z.jpg

More to come  

The Gunny:

image_zpsaqe8ehqf.jpg

Cam Edwards, NRA News:

image_zps0egydtzv.jpg

Hero:

image_zps0jb5wgmk.jpg

Les Baer:

No kidding, someone had just asked him if his guns were single action.  Um, yes, that's kinda their point. 

image_zpsf23j806d.jpg

Cam Edwards again, with Ted Nugent:

image_zps1oggda1r.jpg

Hicock45:

image_zps0yszv3ju.jpg

Jerry Miculek (I don't know who the guy is next to him):

image_zpsa0v35qcf.jpg

Funny thing, I met Larry Vickers at the Blue Force Gear booth, got his autograph four times, and never took a picture.  

Which reminds me-

Deals:

A few exhibitors sell things during the show.  A few more start selling things the last day, or else give them away.   I bought two pairs of VZ Grips for a super price.  

Steel target deals were all over.   Parking wasn't exactly convenient, so I sadly had to pass.  The last day I got lucky and parked by a shuttle bus stop, but the ones I wanted were sold out.  

I'm not sure why I need one, but I now own a Cold Steel Spetsnaz shovel.

I passed by the Blue Force Gear booth as I was about to leave the last day, and asked about a chest rig they make for the FN SCAR 17.  They happened to have a couple in the display case, and I could buy one for a song.  And, they said, Larry Vickers would sign it for me, as they pointed over to a table I hadn't even noticed where he sat bored to death.  I bought the chest rig, and a sling that was also on sale.  I have one of those slings already, and like it.   I got them signed then got him to sign a card for a friend with a comment about his marksmanship.  

I passed by their booth on my way out, and there was a crowd.  I had to look.  Vickers was asking questions, and whoever got the right answer got an item from the exhibit.  At that moment, he had somethjng in his hand and was saying something like "I know this isn't a softball question, but you should still get this".   Apparently he had stumped the crowd.   I asked the guy in front of me what the question was.   He said he wanted to know who came up with the muti-lug bolt that Stoner used on the AR.

I yelled "Johnson!"  and was rewarded with a Blue Force Gear....necktie. I'm not sure what I'll do with a FDE necktie with BFG's logo in the corner and Larry Vickers' signature on the back, but I have one now.   Maybe I need a FDE suit.  

Edited by BarryinIN

On 5/20/2016 at 2:30 PM, BarryinIN said:

Heading down tomorrow morning.   I think.  I hope.  

I went to the other gun club I belong to yesterday.  My back was killing me last night from the drive.   It's 54 miles away.  The convention will be about twice that.  

I'll get there.  I might have to stay.  

Highlights to hit:

Berger Bullets- Bullet samples.  Got them.

Redding/Saeco- Checking some things.  See if they have any new cast bullet designs. Did it. No new bullets .

FN- I want to see when the Mk20 SSR is coming (DMR type SCAR).  End of summer maybe.

Steyr- Chat with their tech rep.  Good guy. Still a good guy.

Winchester- Always gotta see them.  Try to find out why M70s are still scarce. "We we making them; you should be seeing them.

Browning- Always need to see if the HiPower is still in the catalog. They are. For now anyway.

Cold Steel- They have a big roped-off mat so they spar all day and beat the crap out of each other with their products.   Can't be missed. They weren't sparring, but still sold me some stuff.

Magpul- There is always a gimmick or two or three to see or get.No new gimmick that I saw, and no nifty new handout.

Pyramyd Air (booth and airgun range)- Mostly want to investigate some moving target systems.  But you never know.  Target is smaller than I expected, but that ma be better.

Colt- Because they're Colt.   They will have something really cool that nobody can afford but they will make four or five anyway, like a Gatling gun.  And to see if some products are ever coming back.  Nothing off the charts like a Gatling gun.   The announcement of the Delta Elite's return when they are still being made was curious.

S&W- To once again ask for the return of Scandium 1911s with the regular grip frame instead of the current bobtail-only.  Always a big crowd, so didn't get very far into the exibit or stay long.

Andy's Leather-  Andy's a friend and super good guy. Visited twice. Still a good guy.

Ultra Light Arms- Rumor of a really light Scout rifle from them.  Really light.. I didn't see a specific Scout rifle, but several candidates. 

Hornady- Because I like seeing the looks on their faces when I pronounce their name correctly.  (Horn-a-dee, not Horn-a-day).  They appreciated this.

Midwest Gun Works- Thank them for having Browning and FNH parts when nobody else did.  Maybe get another shirt.  I kissed tail, but no shirt this time.

Ohio Ordnance Works- Because I want a semiauto BAR in a bad way. I have to give credit here.  The have the modernized BAR with Picatinny rails and adjustable AR stock, and I had previousl disregarded it as a gimmick.   I actually listened to their explanation this time, and they really have put some time, thought, and effort into it.  For one thing, they made quote a few changes internally and externally to bring the weight down.  It is more interesting now that I know more.

Midwest Industries- Check on some extended handguards.  Didnt see them.

Kinetic Development Group- Same thing; handguards.  Saw them.  Will probably get a set.

Nighthawk- To see the HiPower.  Its nice, but not as nice as a full custom from a couple of sources.   I suppose that's exactly where it should be.

Trijicon- Because.  And still like. Because.

Mile High Shooting Supply- Look at the wondrous Accuracy International rifles and Schmidt & Bender scopes.  I made a mistake here. I mixed up two similar companies.  Eurooptics is the one who exhibits here.   Anyway, I looked, my mouth watered, and I might have cried a little.

U.S. Optics- Just to see how things are.  And drool over the SR8 1-8x scope again.  Eurooptics was showing their scopes, and yes, I once again looked at the SR8 1-8x. Its niiiice.

VZ Grips- I always look, ready to buy, but the selction is so huge I can't decide.  Maybe this time.   I bought two sets.   One for Browning HiPower, and another for 1911.   A relatively unknown composite grip place quoted me $90/set tat weekend.   VZ said $60 for their show special.  But when I bought two sets, I got them for $100.   

Vortex- They've updated some optics and I want to see.  I mostly wanted to see their Strike Eagle 1-6X.  It's selling for around $325 instead of the $600+ of other 1-6X scopes.   It is pretty nice.   Not as nice as a Schmidt & Bender but maybe priced more in line with what you get.   It's on my "might buy" list.   The only reason it's not a "will buy" is due to having so many scopes in that size range already.

Springfield Armory- To see about possible .38 Super or 10mm 1911 models (wouldn't a .38 Super Range Officer with extra 9mm barrel be neat?).   And maybe get another T-shirt.  I didn't spend much time here.   Again seeing the Range Officers in 9mm ave me hope for .38 Super and maybe even 10mm versions someday.   No shirt.

CZ- A few things, from .22 rifles to the Scorpion that now has my interest after a friend got one to SBR.   Everytime I look at a CZ pistol I miss the CZ75 I had several years ago and I swear to get another.   I'll say it:. I need to get another.   For my buddy with a Scorpion, I compared the Custom Shop trigger to the standard.  I advised him to get the Custom Shop trigger, but its easy for me to spend his money.

Suppressors- Every company there.  I wish I had every suppressor there.

Eley- They usually have past and present Olympians to meet.  I'd rather meet one of them than everyone at the Oscars, see the Super Bowl, and walk around backstage at the Grammys.   The US Shooting Team trials were only two weeks away, so I didn't know if I'd see anyone or not.  I did get to meet a smallbore rifle hopeful, and wished her luck (but secretly hope she doesn't beat out local shooter Sarah Beard).

Champion's Choice, Champion Shooter's Supply, and Creedmore Sports- Target goodies.  I need to place some orders.

Marlin- See if they have anything they made before becoming Remlin..Their's was a curious exhibit.   I only saw rifles in .22 (semiauto only) .44 Mag, .30-30, and .45-70.   No .444, .35 Rem, .357 Mag, or .22 model 39A, plus others I am surely missing.    They had plenty of empty space, however.   It was kind of odd.

Crimson Trace- I have an NRA instructor discount but don't know what to get.  But I know I need something. I think I know what o want now.   I should add that their green laser shows up better to my eyes, although te run to!e is shorter.

Ruger- They will have something new.  Whether it will be worth fighting the inevitable crowd to see will be the question.I hardly looked.  Ruger draws a BIG crowd.

Beretta- Mostly to look at shotguns.  And they are nice.   

Uberti, Cimmaron, etc- Gotta get that fix.  I need a Schofield.   

Thats a start.