Practically Shooting

Cleaning a polymer pistol?

I just posted in the pistol forum about buying my first handgun in over 25 years. I have three handguns, but it's been over 20 years since I've fired any of them. I keep them oiled so they are all in good shape. When I did shoot I used Hoppes No. 9 to clean. Is it safe to use this on a polymer frame?

Hoppes will work fine. You might want to try Breakfree CLP in an aerosol can. Works very good also, and a little easier to use.

Some of the Brakleen products I would try to avoid. CLP will clean and protect without worry of any polymer interaction. You can buy Breakfree CLP in a 12oz spray can at Walmart pretty cheap. The last can I bought at WM was under the Winchester label, and was much cheaper than most gunshops.

• 8 months later...

Here's what I wrote Ruger about.

Comment / question: Hey I have a blued P95 with a polymer frame and wondering what cleaners and oils to use on the gun.. Now, I dont plan to get anything on the frame but accidents do happen, so I will need a polymer safe cleaner/oil. I have tried contacting companies but is hard to do. Hoppe's, RemOil and Breakfree CLP are all available locally to me. Would these cause any problems if they come in contact with the polymer frame? thanks againJoseph Response: The Hoppes and RemOil should work fine on the gun but would not recommend the use of the Breakfree, it may discolor the frame.

Seeing how you guys have used Breakfree CLP with no problems, I think, maybe they're referring to the powder blast that is loaded with solvents.

Oh yeah, for the frame they suggest Casey's Birch

Hello, Do you recommend a certain type of cleaner/oil for the P95. All I saw mentioned in the manual was some solvent powder. Can I just use Rem Oil as both a cleaner and oil? I would really like to avoid the powder if there is no benefit as it might be difficult to remove it all. My last gun used Breakfree CLP for both cleaning and oiling. thanks Response: Yes, you may use Rem Oil on your firearm. We recommend that you do not use any type of solvent on the frame. But would suggest you try Birchwood – Casey’s Stock Restorer. We have found it work very well on all Synthetic frames.