Practically Shooting

Switching from one-eyed trap to two-eyed.

wwillson

I've been a one-eyed shooter my whole life and have decided to change to two-eyed (both eyes open). I've finding the transition very difficult. Seems that no matter what I try, my eyes want to look at the target and front bead at the same time. When this happens chaos in the brain ensues. Has anyone change successfully? If so do you have any pointers for me?

Thanks,

Wayne

Good post! I was doing well with it, then as soon as I go back to the range I'm all messed up again. What seems to be working is acquire the target with 2 eyes, then switch over to the right eye for the shot. I'm doing better that way, but know that a good shooter shoots with both eyes open. I find my eyes doing this! crazy

I'm new to this but I think they make some kind of dot or something to paste onto shooting glasses to block out the eye but let it remain open, to train the brain?????????????? They come in different sizes... Not sure??????????

A member at our club, who I respect as a trap shooter, gave me a couple hints. First, mount your gun and hold it on your hold point for that position. Both eyes then go to the point on the house where the target will first be seen. Call for the target and KEEP both eyes on the target - never looking anywhere except the target. He says he concentrates so hard on the target that he "tries to read the writing on the target". In short I'll tell you that it works, it feels weird at first when you are accustomed to shooting with one eye and bringing the bead to the target. The point is that you look only at the target and never give into the tempation to look back at the gun.

Wayne