Practically Shooting

Colt to file for Bankruptcy

wwillson

When this talk started a couple of weeks ago, my first thought was Colt has had more lives than ten thousand cats.   They've been on the edge of disappearing more times than I can count, so I don't pay much attention to "Colt is in trouble" stories anymore   

This sounded worse, however, so I watched it a little closer.   It was the same, but worse all over it seemed.  They'd missed more payments, while valuing the name more than usual.  

Chapter 11 may be the best possible outcome.  People get paid, Colt stays in more or less one piece.  

I'm not so sure Colt getting to stay in Hartford is a plus, and I notice they only mention Colt Defense in this, but it's stil better than I thought it would be.  

Seems like most of my guns are either not produced anymore or are from companies that are pending closing or have closed: Savage 99 - Lefever shotgun, Parker shotgun, American (Saco Defence Company) made Weatherby, Early Colt pistols and revolvers. Winchester rifle and shotgun. Then again, I still drive a Pontiac and all the other models of vehicles I own are no longer produced. Life goes on. Its just too bad that these long standing gun companies cannot figure out how to stay in business, especially in the current climate of continued high gun sales. What does Glock do that Colt cannot figure out how to do? 

• 6 months later...

I read within the last couple of days that Colt was set to emerge from Chap 11 by the end of the year.  How, I don't know.

I do know they were sending ARs out with no furniture.  The claim was for you to customize, but others said it was because suppliers wouldn't let them have any. The result was a nicely priced Colt AR you could buy the furniture you wanted for...like many people do anyway. 

How they are going from that to clearing bankruptcy in a week is beyond me.