Practically Shooting

Glock 17 accuracy question

xtell

Glock shooters,

I have a stock - Glock 17 - third series that I'm having accuracy issues with. I have tried: Titegroup, 231, WSF, Power Pistol and Bullseye powders. Win and Federal small pistol primers and assorted range brass from Win, Remington, Speer and Federal and S & B. Bullets I tried range from plated to FMJ 115, 124 and 147 grain from various manufacturers. I have loaded the 9mm rounds OAL from 1.10 to 1.15 inches and adjusted crimp tension. At 15 yards, benched, I can get get around 1-1/2 inch groups with only a few loads (124 grain FMJ with 4.1 Titegroup, 6.0 Power Pistol and 5.0 WSF,Federal primers, Winchester brass and an OAL of 1.13. However, out at 25 yards my groups open up to 7 to 10 inches.At 35 + yards I'm lucky to even hit the target. I have had several other shooters shoot my Glock and they all get the same results. Any ideas what could be the cause of this? I have been working with this pistol off and on for over 3 years with no improvement in accuracy. As a side note, I also shoot a CZ Shadow Target (9mm), Colt 1911 Government Series 70 (45ACP) and a recently purchased S & W 586 revolver (38 special / .357 mag) and have no problems with accuracy. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thank you,

xtell

Update,

I was able to borrow a KKM barrel from another guys Glock (G-17)on the range yesterday and use it in my G-17. I was able to get 2 to 2-1/2 groups, at 25 yards with several handloads that work well in my CZ pistol. After all these years it was a garbage stock barrel causing the problem. To really confirm poor barrel quality - I switched back and forth between the stock Glock and KKM barrels and with the stock Glock barrel - poor groups, KKM barrel - good groups. Now I have to order a KKM barrel. Anybody have any experience with Glock's factory repair department replacing barrels if accuracy is a problem or would Glock say inside 10 inch groups at 25 yards is still within Glock spec. dnewton3 - I see you are a certified to work on Glock's. Have you any experience with Factory barrel replacement for Glock's?

xtell

• 2 months later...

dnewton3

Thank you for your reply. I will check for a local authorized Glock aromorer and see what he / she suggests. As a side note, I can load bullets way past 1.20 in the Glock without hitting the start of the lands and groves. This applies to round nose and hollow point bullet profiles. I have read that Glock Barrels have long throats, but does this (1.20+ OAL length without hitting the rifling) sound excessive to you? Would excessive free bore be causing my accuracy issues?