Practically Shooting

New Shooting Range in town

Astro14

I've noticed that there are starting to be some upscale (clean, new, professional) shooting ranges in various parts of the country and one just opened in my current town of Virginia Beach.

They've got 4 bays of shooting lanes. What's nice about the place is the layout: big, open, carpeted, well-lit in the showroom and the shooting bays have electronically controlled targets, which can be programmed to face/turn, bulletproof glass between bays, great ventilation, climate control, and best of all, a Range Safety Officer.

Most of the ranges in town are small, poorly lit and ventilated, concrete floors, and not as supervised as they should be. That layout and price point seems to attract the Mall Ninjas...and it isn't always a pleasant shooting experience.

The price per visit is $20/lane, but a membership allows you to reserve a lane (no showing up, seeing all the other folks and standing around for a few hours). My wife and I signed up for a year, paid in advance. Just the ability to reserve a lane is worth it to us, both busy/professional folks who don't have time to stand around hoping to get a lane, but the whole atmosphere and experience is really nice.

I wonder if this is a trend? Better atmosphere = better clientele and a better experience?

http://www.colonialshooting.com/vab/

• 1 month later...

Hopefully it is not a trend. I like the old way. Even better was the old days when we could go to the local dump and drink beer while shooting at the tin cans and such that was there.

Now, on a side note, I recently hit the age where I get a senior discount at one of the ranges in the Houston area. I now only have to pay $3 to go to the range and there is no time limit.