Practically Shooting

Same as on BITOG

OVERKILL

Just like to introduce myself here. I'm from Canada (where we supposedly aren't allowed to have guns according to many of you Americans, LOL! wink ) and have always had an avid interest in firearms but didn't actually get into the ownership aspect of things until the fall of 2013 when I bought a Savage 10/110 in .270 WIN.

I've been a casual shooter since I was a little kid starting with a .177 Russian pellet gun.

Since December I've started a small collection of mostly bolt guns and mostly Savage. Latest acquisition is a Savage 110BA in .338 LM which is a beautiful gun and a lot of fun!

Also hopefully getting into reloading soon, which I'm quite excited about! smile

Always Bill smile Not being safe has a tendency to ruin the fun, LOL laugh

Yeah, the big restriction up here is automatic stuff, that's a no-no. Anything semi you are golden and you can get the big calibres like .50BMG no problem. My next purchase is going to be an M99 actually.

Handguns are OK to own but you need a restricted license and no carrying them around. I think some states are like that too though, correct?

Anyway, my comment was meant to be taken in jest as I've met a few guys from south of the border that thought the only thing we could own up here were shotguns, LOL!

I think reloading is going to be fantastic for me and will make shooting the bigger guns a lot more affordable.

Oh trust me, there are some states here that would LOVE to have the same "rights" as you folks have up there. There is a reason why I live where I do. t-up Walk in and get what you want (if they have it) unless its fully auto or suppressed. Even with those just pay more and wait a little if interested.

Carry around is legal with the CCW. Most states allow you to do so with the same permit.

You will hear that any savings you get with reloading you'll spend shooting more. Well then I am saving something since I get to do more with the same $$.

And it has the fun factor of dialing in the loads for the mission. You'll never look at a shooting range the same way. Finding brass has a new meaning...

Take care, Bill

Welcome to BITOG lite, Chris!

I concur with Bill; I'd not live in a repressive state. Although slowly, the SC is beginning to push the reality that our 2nd Amendment is meant for everyone, everywhere.

In IN, we can have:

PPP (personal proptection permits; both open and concealed carry)

NFA machineguns and sub-machineguns

NFA SBR (short bbl rifles)

NFA suppressors (silencer)

NFA AOW (any other weapon)

Any caliber of handgun, shotgun, rifle

What we cannot have:

NFA SBS (short bbl shotgun)

Those are some nice and open laws Dave! Wow!

I have a thing for bolts, so that's what most of my guns are. Since we have a 5-round limit on anything not a shotgun and not rimfire I find semi-autos up here somewhat pointless in anything other than those calibres. A bolt with those limits works well and that's what most of the big calibres are anyway smile

The shortest shotgun barrel we can have is 18".

The restricted license allows you to own more stuff like handguns and short barrelled rifles.

Some of the funny stuff you see up here is with guns like AK-47's and their ilk. Sold in semi-auto form and with a big clip that has a rivet in the side so it is pinned to 5 rounds, LOL!!

I have a thing for bolts, so that's what most of my guns are. Since we have a 5-round limit on anything not a shotgun and not rimfire I find semi-autos up here somewhat pointless in anything other than those calibres. A bolt with those limits works well and that's what most of the big calibres are anyway smile

The restricted license allows you to own more stuff like handguns and short barrelled rifles.

Some of the funny stuff you see up here is with guns like AK-47's and their ilk. Sold in semi-auto form and with a big clip that has a rivet in the side so it is pinned to 5 rounds, LOL!!

We can have 14 inch shotgun barrels as long as overall lenght is 26" or more smile

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

We can have 14 inch shotgun barrels as long as overall lenght is 26" or more smile

Interesting, that's not how it was explained to me by my PAL instructor but I do recall reading the overall length restriction as well so perhaps it is both column A and B? IE, if overall length is <26" but the barrel is >=18" you are OK? I can think that say a pistol grip shotgun that might fall into that category?

OK, I found this gem:

https://nfa.ca/resource-items/barrel-and-firearms-lengths

Yeah, looks like the rules are a bit Twilight Zone, LOL

(Note the article is a tad dated and mentions the now obsolete registry but I believe the rules referenced haven't changed).

• 10 months later...

Originally Posted By: DaveM
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Interesting, that's not how it was explained to me by my PAL instructor but I do recall reading the overall length restriction as well so perhaps it is both column A and B? IE, if overall length is <26" but the barrel is >=18" you are OK? I can think that say a pistol grip shotgun that might fall into that category?

OK, I found this gem:

https://nfa.ca/resource-items/barrel-and-firearms-lengths

Yeah, looks like the rules are a bit Twilight Zone, LOL

(Note the article is a tad dated and mentions the now obsolete registry but I believe the rules referenced haven't changed).

Back in the mid 90's I almost bought a Rem 870 tactical with the 14 inch barrel at Ontario Sporting Supplies that was in Concord, but since went out of business. It was manufactured by Remington with the 14 inch barrel so it was completely legal. The price is what stopped me from getting it. I think it was around $1200 or so due to being rare at the time. I still wish to this day that I had bought it anyways!