Practically Shooting

Pre-SHOT Show Introductions.

BarryinIN

SHOT is two weeks away, but some companies have jumped the gun and shown new models already.

KelTec has been showing pics of a .223 bullpup. Or two new .223 bullpups, depending on your point of view. It looks like the same basic action in different clothing. The first one more or less resembles their RFB .308 from four or five years ago. The second one...the second one is...eye-catching. Eye-catching even among the typical odd-looking KelTecs.

This is their ad in the current issue of Shooting Industry magazine:

See what I mean? That M43 looks like some Soviet prototype from...1943. I guess that's the idea.

Remington R-51 pistol:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/01/01/remington-announces-r-51-pistol/

I like the old Remington 51, and would like to have one. This new R-51 has some similarities, both mechanical and physical.

And some new revolvers from S&W:

http://www.juliegolob.com/new-smith-wesson-revolvers-for-competition-hunting-and-self-defense

Mostly variations on current models, and an odd 8-shot 9mm revolver meant for competition.

Officially introduced at midnight, the Accuracy International AX308MC and AX338MC. The "MC" stands for Multi Caliber, since a barrel change is easy. It already was on the AXs, but I guess this is easier. They now have the same stock used on AI's PSR.

Edit:

Looking at the barrel change system, it is a lot faster. I bet you can swap barrels at the bench or in the field in a minute or less using an Allen wrench that stores in the stock.

AI also released the replacement for the AE, called the AT. Before I give the price, I need to set it up to bring things into perspective.

The AI PSR is $17,000.

Their AX is $6-7,000

The AI AW was around $6,200.

The AI AE was a little under $4,500.

The AI AT has more goodies than the AE or AW and will be around $3,500.

It's a steal. Well, in comparison.

Re: Remington R-51

I heard that one distributor (Davidsons?) shows a preorder price of $318. If that's tried and they will sell for around $375 in local gun shops, they will sell a lot. I'm not that interested, but at that price, I might be.

My guys at the show are reporting that the trigger absolutely sucks. Not sure if it's an easy clean-up or not.

OTOH still waiting to hear if the Lone Wolf large frame Timber Wolfs are being shown.

What I was hearing about the R-51 trigger was that it was very much like a Glock/XD/M&P trigger, but with a longer reset. However, I was getting this from rabid 1911 devotees. In the case of one in particular, it's possible that any non-1911 trigger is going to feel the same as any other non-1911 trigger to him.

What I was hearing about the R-51 trigger was that it was very much like a Glock/XD/M&P trigger, but with a longer reset. However, I was getting this from rabid 1911 devotees. In the case of one in particular, it's possible that any non-1911 trigger is going to feel the same as any other non-1911 trigger to him.

I think you are on to something Mr. Professor.

There is one guy who provides the majority of my SHOT Show scoop each year. Usually he has a fountain of info for me to pick through, but I only got a little from him this year.

Then I found out why things were so scarce from him. He didn't get to go this year. Couldn't get away from his real job. What he did pass along what he heard from others, though.

So that's why I didn't bury the forum with pics and descriptions this year. Not that we see 90% before the next show anyway. Or the next. Or the next.

That's OK, this year's NRA Annual Meetings are a few miles up the road.