Practically Shooting

Favorite 30-06, 180 gr. hunting load...

Griz

Bob, one needs a heavy bullet for penetration on elk. The 150's just won't do it unless it was a Barnes bullet. But I haven't had good luck getting a Barnes to shoot tight groups. Probably just the combinations of cases, powders and primers I have tried don't work well with them. I've heard others have used Barnes bullets and love them. I am partial to the Nosler Partition bullets. They always perform well for me and aren't hard to get them to shoot tight groups.

I'll have to concentrate on IMR-4350 more and see what happens.

Griz

Well understand the difference between a little 125lb Arkansas whitetail and a western elk! I wasn't in any way suggesting you use 150's for them.

Point in fact, my pistolsmith nephew just recently put two 140gr balistic tips into a MONSTER Nebraska whitetail and lost it for a week and a half before a property owner found it and called him to come retrieve the rack. One round in the front shoulder, the other in upper ham (full away), neither made it to anything vital. Good shot placement from just under 300 yards. He's going to something tougher and heavier before next year. I suggested 160 partition in his locale.

Bob

Well understand the difference between a little 125lb Arkansas whitetail and a western elk! I wasn't in any way suggesting you use 150's for them.

Point in fact, my pistolsmith nephew just recently put two 140gr balistic tips into a MONSTER Nebraska whitetail and lost it for a week and a half before a property owner found it and called him to come retrieve the rack. One round in the front shoulder, the other in upper ham (full away), neither made it to anything vital. Good shot placement from just under 300 yards. He's going to something tougher and heavier before next year. I suggested 160 partition in his locale.

Bob

You got that right Bob in both cases. cheers2

What caliber was your nephew using? I use a .280 on elk with 160 gr. Nosler Partition bullets. So far I haven't had to use more than one bullet in each of the four elk I have taken. Your nephew might also consider using Nosler Accubond bullets on those deer. They should also do the job well.

Griz