Practically Shooting

HTA 90/22 Bullpup Conversion for 10/22

BarryinIN

http://www.hightowerarmory.com/

I saw prototypes at the bullpup shoot last fall. The old conversion kits from the 80s were junk, the new Red Jacket looked nice but was over $300 and has been backlogged. I thought the HTA struck a happy medium. It didn't have quite the detail of the Red Jacket, but it cost 2/3 as much too. The HTA has an action bedding block, steel trigger linkage, and other details, so it's not a cheap piece of junk. They are $239.

They've been delayed to get them right, but I got an email last night saying they were taking orders from those who signed up to be notified. A quick check showed some people have got theirs, confirming ligitimacy, so I placed an order.

It can be had in black, tan, or OD. I got OD, thinking of Pablo.

Will report when it arrives.

Now I need to find a BX25 magazine or two.

It came today.

Here is what you get (except the 10/22).

Big pieces:

Little pieces:

It's not bad. Assembly was not exactly a piece of cake, but it wasn't exactly hard either. Just odd. The instructions need read thoroughly and often, to avoid traps like "start all 12 screws" which is followed shortly thereafter by "the five screws indicated in black must be started first". There was one step that needed a third hand. To install the barreled action, it gets seated into the left stock half after pulling the relocated charging handle back...but it needs held back with one hand while you install the action with two hands. I used an Allen wrench to block the handle back, put the action in, then slipped the wrench out.

Subtracting time for reading and re-reading the manual and taking pictures, it took just under 20 minutes.

The screws are in different lengths, and it matters where they go, so keep them straight:

The first step is to add a safety extension. It just clips on.

It's there because the conversion will end up with two safeties. First is the original with the extended buttons sticking out the sides of the stock. The other safety mimics the safety on the PS90- a rocking switch at the trigger.

The conversion uses a steel rod to actuate the original trigger. That eliminates the flex/crunch of the old plastic ones. The action is mounted by bolting to an aluminum block.

Here is the trigger rod. You can see the edge of the bedding block to the right side.

Barreled action in the left half:

I don't know if you can see, but there is a black piece where the barrel leaves the stock. The stock is made to fit a .920 barrel, but the bushing fills the space for a factory standard barrel.

Assembled right side:

Assembled left side:

It comes with a plastic fake suppressor. It only fits over the factory standard barrel, not bull barrels.

It feels really solid. It doesn't squish when held, gripped, or squeezed. No creaking or squeaking. Solid.

I was concerned the magazine and bolt stop would be hard to access, but it has a nice big opening for that. I only have 10-rd mags (BX-25s on the way) but they go in and out without a bunch of juggling. The big mags should be easier. I should add an auto bolt stop/release.

The PS90 has an odd top-mounted magazine. HTA made an ammo storage box shaped like the PS90 mag. You pull the latch, lift the "mag" up and out, then a drawer-like deal slides out,

I got 38 rounds in there, and can probably get a few more in. It's not the most compact and efficient storage, but I guess the space would be wasted even if it didn't have a mag-looking thing there.

The conversion adds some weight. I used a plain old standard model birch stock 10/22 with barrel band. It weighed 4 lbs, 13 oz.

It now weighs 6 lbs, 4 oz. I suppose it adds a scope base, but that doesn't completely offset the 1 lb, 7 oz change.

The trigger pull goes up, too. Before, it was 4 lbs, 9 oz. Now its 8 lbs even.

I did nothing to lube or smooth any surface, so I'd think a little work would get it to around 6 lbs.

So what good is it? I guess it would make AirSofters go "Golly gee", but how is it better than a regular 10/22?

For me, it shifts the weight rearward so my back can handle it easier. Even a light 10/22 can hurt me after a while.

OK, but what about everyone else?

Well, there's this:

If I could change anything, the first would be to add some storage space in the back. The stock is longer than a PS90 to make legal length, so there is a good 3" of length under the buttplate with nothing there. It begs to be a storage space of about 3x4"..

One of these conversions with a storage compartment full of ammo, shelter, and fire building tools could be a dandy survival gun that would take up little room in the car.

First: I had the price wrong in the original post, but can't edit it now.

Black is $229.

Tan or OD is $239.

I shot it a little this evening. Enough to soot that fake can up.

Function seemed unaffected.

It can be a little clumsy getting ten-rd mags out. It's easier to dump them then pick them up. Maybe the longer ones will be easier.